Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JByrd  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 22, 2011 6:54:07 PM(UTC)
JByrd

Groups: Registered

Our dryer no longer puts out any heat. I'd gotten a Whirlpool DIY repair manual, but it says to remove the rear access panel and this is not possible (appears to be welded - no screws). I saw another similar post from someone who said you have to access through the front. I pulled off the toe panel and see the heater box on the lower right. There is a shield attached to the front of this box and to the floor of the dryer. I took out the two screws that attach this bracket to the bottom of the dryer, but can't seem to easily get inside the heater box to check the heating element or thermostats. Does anyone know how to go about this and if I'm properly accessing this through the front?

Also, does anyone know where I can obtain a copy of service manual for this dryer (based on what I found on the web, I think it was manufactured for Kenmore by Whirlpool).

All help appreciated and thanks in advance :) !

Jon
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

kayakcrzy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 23, 2011 4:17:01 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Groups: Senior Expert

Well you are real close here. Since you have all that apart, if you want to pull the element, to visibly check it, to see if there is a break, all you need to do know is take out the 1/4 inch screw that is inbetween the two heating element terminals. Then you can pull it out. If you had an ohm meter, you can just pull 1 wire off of the element and see if you get a reading. If you don't, it's no good. There is another part that is mounted on the very back left side of the heating element, it is called the thermal fuse. It could be bad. Oh, if you need more room, pull your filter out of the door, and then take off the filter housing, by removing a 1/4 inch screw on the right side of it, and one on the left. Tom ApplianceEducator.com
JByrd  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 23, 2011 5:34:55 PM(UTC)
JByrd

Many thanks Tom!

With your guidance, I was able to remove the heater box and test and remove the coil. The deck that's sandwiched between the coil is cracked (thermal shock?) and the coil break is visible at upper left in the attached image.

I was also thinking I'd replace the two thermostats, since I'm guessing that at least one of them must be bad to have allowed sufficient heat to crack the deck (?), but maybe this was just normal heating/cooling combined with the age of the machine. The manual I have says to test the thermostats using a hot plate, but I don't have one with a temperature setting and, since these are probably not very expensive, I'm just going to replace both.

Keep your fingers crossed and I'll update with how this turns out.

Jon
JByrd attached the following image(s):
HeaterCoil.JPG
JByrd  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 23, 2011 5:45:10 PM(UTC)
JByrd

The parts list for my exact model (11068283100) aren't on the site, but the two closest models are 11068202790/94. The parts from these for the heater coil (AP3094254) and thermostat kit (AP3094244) are the same for both models.

Being a newbie on these parts and this repair, does anyone know if these parts are the same ones for my model number (I see the heater coil design is different, but maybe that's an improvement over the old design ;) )?

Thanks to all!

Jon
kayakcrzy  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 24, 2011 1:41:48 PM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Groups: Senior Expert

I don't know AP#s. That is a number of there own. Look at the model #. The one you have listed is not correct. Tom ApplianceEducator.com
JByrd  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 24, 2011 6:12:34 PM(UTC)
JByrd

Right you are!

I missed a digit in the part number, it should have been 110.96283100. Using this I found and ordered the parts I needed.

Thanks again!

Jon
JByrd attached the following image(s):
IMG_4949_1.JPG
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply