Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dlynns47  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 22, 2011 9:54:55 AM(UTC)
dlynns47

Groups: Registered

This dryer blew a thermal fuse shortly after it was moved to a new house. relocated the exhaust vent 3 different times and blew thermal fuse shortly after each time. we have checked for shorted heater element. checked thermistor and resistance was within specs. I think the dryer has a heat control problem and I am inclined to replace the control module and thermistor, but I was hoping for another opinion before i coughed up 200 bucks for the parts. Any ideas. thanks for any help!!

Read more: http://forum.appliancepartspros...nns47.html#ixzz1KH9r0cY4
http://forum.appliancepartspros.com
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 22, 2011 10:53:16 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dlynns47 Go to Quoted Post
This dryer blew a thermal fuse shortly after it was moved to a new house. relocated the exhaust vent 3 different times and blew thermal fuse shortly after each time. we have checked for shorted heater element. checked thermistor and resistance was within specs. I think the dryer has a heat control problem and I am inclined to replace the control module and thermistor, but I was hoping for another opinion before i coughed up 200 bucks for the parts. Any ideas. thanks for any help!!

Dlynns,

Have you checked the lint filter and housing and blower interior, for a lint build up or clog ?

You stated you've relocated the exhaust vent 3 times, is it as short and straight as possible, and clean all the way out to and including the vent hood ?

I don't think you'll need either of the parts you mentioned, the thermal fuse operates on temperature. you may have a shorted element oe wire, causing an overheating situation, but the thermal fuse is doing it's job.

We could have been more helpful, if you had supplied a model number for your dryer, but this should be helpful.

Thanks,

Good Luck
:) :) :)
dlynns47  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 23, 2011 9:35:24 AM(UTC)
dlynns47

Groups: Registered

The entire vent assembly from the blower housing to the outside wall has been disassembled and scrubbed clean and we have tried to relocate the flex hose twice and then replaced it with a rectangular close clearance assembly that was sold by Lowe's to address close clearance airflow restrictions.

I understand that the thermanl fuse is designed to blow when the temp goes over 195f but if the the temp control portion of the electric control module and the thermistor is doing thier job, the temp should never go that high in the fisrt place. In high temp mode, the temp is supposed to be regulated to 155f.

In my limited experiance, I have seen dryers with the vent hose clogged completely up that didn't blow the thermal fuse, they just never got the clothes dry because the heat cycled off so often.

This is a Whirlpool Duet Model # GEW9250PL1
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 25, 2011 8:22:35 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dlynns47 Go to Quoted Post
The entire vent assembly from the blower housing to the outside wall has been disassembled and scrubbed clean and we have tried to relocate the flex hose twice and then replaced it with a rectangular close clearance assembly that was sold by Lowe's to address close clearance airflow restrictions.
I understand that the thermanl fuse is designed to blow when the temp goes over 195f but if the the temp control portion of the electric control module and the thermistor is doing thier job, the temp should never go that high in the fisrt place. In high temp mode, the temp is supposed to be regulated to 155f.

In my limited experiance, I have seen dryers with the vent hose clogged completely up that didn't blow the thermal fuse, they just never got the clothes dry because the heat cycled off so often.

This is a Whirlpool Duet Model # GEW9250PL1

Dlynns,

OK then,

Check for thermistor resistance,at the control board, check across the wires at the P2/5(red/wht stripe) to P2/6(blk), it should be read at 10,000 ohms resistance at room temperature, it is a negative coefficient fuse so the resistance will decrease as the temperatuure increases, your element should be approximately 8 to 12 ohms resistance across the element terminals and an open circuit(infinite resistance) from each terminal to the case or chassis ground.

If those all check within range, replace the control board,

Part number: AP3775548
Part number: AP3775548

Since you have some experience at this, you will be doing these checks with the dryer vent disconnected from the dryer.

Good Luck,
:) :) :)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply