Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tim_Z  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 12, 2011 2:10:11 PM(UTC)
Tim_Z

Groups: Registered

Hello all you pro's. I am having trouble with my gas dryer. When I push the start button I can feel a slight buzz but the drum will not rotate, nothing happens. Does anyone have any schematic for said dryer? Hoping that it is not the motor. Thanks Tim
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 12, 2011 4:38:09 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Tim,

Open the dryer door and tape in the door switch. Push and hold the start switch and manually turn the drum. If the motor will start, replace the motor. It is not very expensive for this model.

- The motor Part number: AP3094245
Tim_Z  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2011 11:04:25 AM(UTC)
Tim_Z

Thanks but still no love. There is no change. Do you have any other suggestions? FWIW, the door switch seems to work as when I release it I can hear a relay release and stop the cycle.

Tim
Gene  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2011 12:14:49 PM(UTC)
Gene

Tim,

Check for continuity between the R1 and R2 terminals on the push-to-start switch while it's depressed.

Gene.
Tim_Z  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 16, 2011 3:15:08 PM(UTC)
Tim_Z

Thanks Gene. The resistance value is 0.2 ohms which is the leads. When I took off the upper rear panel to get to the switch I found the schematic.

With only removing the front lower panel of the dryer and reaching in to check the motor resistance I pulled the blue and white wires off of the switch at locations 4 and 5. I got a measurement of 1.9 ohms which if I am reading the schematic correctly is near what the two loads in parallel should be. My schematic does not show anything on switch location 3 but there is a brown wire going to the motor. Also, the motor has a blank unlabeled location on the schematic which I can assume is location 3. Later I will check the individual resistances between 4 and 3 and also between 4 and 5 on the motor to verify. Other than that I do not know what to look at after that.

Any more ideas? I guess I can check to see that I have 120v up to location 4 on the motor switch and then I can guess that the motor is defective.

Thanks,
Tim
Tim_Z  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 20, 2011 2:04:15 PM(UTC)
Tim_Z

The schematic is not clear to me. The switch on the motor controls it by switching neutral it appears. I cannot make heads or tails out of the timer and the circuit as it interacts with the motor switch. I confirmed I have 120v at the input of the motor at point 4 I believe. I don't know if the motor, the switch or the circuit from the timer is at fault. I have tried the timer in all of its modes to the same effect. Is the switch and motor sold as a set?

Thanks,
Tim
Gene  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 20, 2011 3:49:14 PM(UTC)
Gene

Tim,

Check for continuity between the timer terminals "T" & "W" while the timer is in On position. If there is no continuity, replace the timer.

The terminal# 3 on the motor switch should be empty. Any wire connected there is incorrect. Try to trace this wire.

Gene.
Tim_Z  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 20, 2011 4:34:38 PM(UTC)
Tim_Z

Thanks for replying!

As the timer is mechanical, it shouldn't need to have power going to it to make a connection between the T and W correct? I cannot get any continuity between those two terminals in any position of the dial. Therefore the timer is suspect unless it needs power to operate.

The brown wire heads back behind the switch and it appears to go to the motor.

Thanks,
Tim
Tim_Z  
#9 Posted : Friday, April 22, 2011 4:07:42 PM(UTC)
Tim_Z

Gene, Do you believe the timer is defective? Tim
Gene  
#10 Posted : Friday, April 22, 2011 4:57:22 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: Tim_Z Go to Quoted Post
Gene, Do you believe the timer is defective? Tim

Tim,

If there is no continuity between these two terminals then the timer is the culprit. If you would like to confirm it, jump these terminals and try to start the dryer.

- The timer Part number: AP2973768
Part number: AP2973768

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply