Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jamiemad1  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 8, 2011 12:30:54 PM(UTC)
jamiemad1

Groups: Registered

ok so my dryer over heated last week so i took it apart cleaned really well replaced both thermostats checked all the wiring replace the belt and the drum guides and one of the felt liners that got a little melted put it back together and it ran great for about 8 minutes then it blew the thermal fuse again(brand new) I know it was that because i jumped it and it worked good again any ideas did i miss something thank you :mad:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

jamiemad1  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 8, 2011 2:19:54 PM(UTC)
jamiemad1

ok so just before i gave up and was going to by a new dryer i looked down inside where the heater coils are and noticed one of the coils where bent a bit and actualy touching the metal on the side i pulled it out and straitend it its been running for twenty minutes now if it stops i will repost.:D
jamiemad1  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 9, 2011 1:22:07 PM(UTC)
jamiemad1

well it did it again ran for an hour last night then this morning for 15 minutes and blew the fuse again im stumped!!!!!:mad:
denman  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 9, 2011 3:15:55 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for CROSLEY CDE6000W DRYER- ELE | AppliancePartsPros.com

Could be your heating coil grounded again.

Once a coil has bent it has a memory so you heat it up a few times and it may go back to where it was.

Check the heating coil.
Unplug the unit and both wires to the coil.
Check it with a meter, should be around 10 to 12 ohms.
Then check from each side of the coil to the case/frame, both should be infinite ohms (open). If not the coil may have sagged or broken and is touching the case. This can cause it to run on high and the thermostats cannot regulate it so the thermal (fuse) cut-off blows.

The hi-limit should have regulated the temperature so the fuse did not blow, that is why there is a new one with the thermal fuse (Item 5 in Section 5).
Note: That unless there is another problem in the unit the hi-limit should never have to open. It is just a safety device with the fuse being a backup safety device.

Just in case it is not a grounded element.
With all the below the high limit will also have to be replaced.
Check that the belt is OK.
Check the seals (drum etc) in the unit. The air is pulled over the heating coils, through the drum and pushed out the exhaust. So any large seal leak will pull in room air and the cycling thermostat on the blower will run the unit hot.
Check that the lint filter is not coated with fabric softener residue which greatly reduces air flow.
Check/clean your vent system.
Check/clean the blower wheel.

If all OK you may want to replace the cycling thermostat as it's contacts may not be opening (welded shut)
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
jamiemad1  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 9, 2011 3:46:09 PM(UTC)
jamiemad1

ok i checked element it was at 12 ohm, i did replace the 2 thermostats from the kit and new belt and felt and guides. i jumped the fuse and it works ok it seems to be cycling ok is there a thermostat i missed the ones i replaced are right above and next to the heating element perhaps(thermal fuse and safety thermostat) is it the t stat cycle?on the parts diagram
jamiemad1  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 9, 2011 4:00:48 PM(UTC)
jamiemad1

is there a way to check the other t stats that i just replaced, well the small one is blown ,but the hi stat? when i jump the fuse it cycles on and off it seems to be maintaining a good heat inside the dryer but for some reason it keeps blowing that small thermal fuse,oh and another question,if the hi limit safety thermostat is blown(it Is new) when i jump the two wires(for thermal fuse)would the dryer still work?when I jump them like I said it works good, cycles and doesnt seem to be getting to hot,not that i would run it like that all the time.the only thing i did not replace was the thermostat,i was not sure how to check it.
denman  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2011 2:56:33 AM(UTC)
denman

[COLOR="DarkRed"]is there a way to check the other t stats that i just replaced, well the small one is blown ,but the hi stat?[/COLOR]
You could heat up the metal face on a stove element to see if the contacts open. I use my soldering gun to heat them up. Tells you that it does open but does not tell you at what temperature it is opening.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]another question,if the hi limit safety thermostat is blown(it Is new) when i jump the two wires(for thermal fuse)would the dryer still work?[/COLOR]
Yes, if the problem was that the hi-limit thermostat contacts were welded together.
But as I said in my previous post the hi-limit is a safety device so if the unit is operating correctly it should never have to open.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]when I jump them like I said it works good, cycles and doesnt seem to be getting to hot,not that i would run it like that all the time.the only thing i did not replace was the thermostat,i was not sure how to check it.[/COLOR]
Whatever is happening it seems to be intermittent.
If you are sure that the heating coil is not touching it's case (grounding) and that the air flow through and out of the machine is good then I would replace the operating thermostat. They can intermittently not open when they should.
At least that is my best guess.

The norm for a grounded element is that it will weld itself to the sde of the case due to the current flow but in rare occurrences they can return to normal when the element cools off. Check for any burn mark or evidence of the element grounding to the case.
jamiemad1  
#8 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2011 6:26:19 AM(UTC)
jamiemad1

ok I appreciate your help here.
Now Im wondering after I put all back together and it blew the thermal cutoff fuse (the small one) thats when i noticed the coils bent and touching so i fixed the coils but then i put in the other thermal cutoff fuse (that came in the kit) wich is for a gas dryer.could the fuse for a gas dryer be set to go off at a lower temp?if mot then i suppose i have to find out why i keep blowing the thermal safety fuse.Is there a way to check the ohms in the thermostats?and the high limit switch
denman  
#9 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2011 7:58:45 AM(UTC)
denman

[COLOR="DarkRed"]could the fuse for a gas dryer be set to go off at a lower temp?[/COLOR]
Yes

There are two (2) Thermal Fuses included in the kit;
1 for Gas Dryers rated at 240*F Yellow dot
1 for Electric Dryers rated at 300*F Red/Pink dot
The hi-limit thermostat used on both gas & electric models rated at 248*F.
jamiemad1  
#10 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2011 9:18:20 AM(UTC)
jamiemad1

ok so i ran with the lid open, the high limit tstat is open or infinate(with ohm meter) and when it kicks the coil off i get very high readings on ohm meter is this supposed to be, for some reason after about 8 minutes the dryer shuts down and the high limit is stuck to closed(until it cools down) it is not blowing the thermal fuse,when it shuts down i check the thermal fuse and it is open?the hi limit and thermal fuses are new could i have got a bad one? or do you think the thermostat is bad and sending bad signals to the high limit tstat after it cools off it will start again
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply