Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Slapdad  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2011 6:47:34 AM(UTC)
Slapdad

Groups: Registered

My girlfriend has mentioned that her gas dryer "pop's" frequently and last night I finally saw it for myself after removing the access door to the igniter/gas valve. After observing it for a few minutes, it would spark/arc/flash....whatever you want to call it. Typically it would happen immediately before the igniter began to glow, sometimes after it had already began to glow. I'm assuming that the igniter is shorting out and will try replacing it, but I thought I would throw it out there for anyone who might know better than I (which could be narrowed down to everyone).

Also, she told me that her dryer starts to smell like something is burning, so I looked and noticed that her vent bends around the side of the dryer and is covered by some panty hose because, apparently, the vent to the outside is blocked. I'm going to go ahead and assume that this is a pretty unsafe setup......extremely hokie at best.....and that is what's causing the smell, but again, feel free to chime in on that situation too.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2011 7:03:02 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Slapdad Go to Quoted Post
My girlfriend has mentioned that her gas dryer "pop's" frequently and last night I finally saw it for myself after removing the access door to the igniter/gas valve. After observing it for a few minutes, it would spark/arc/flash....whatever you want to call it. Typically it would happen immediately before the igniter began to glow, sometimes after it had already began to glow. I'm assuming that the igniter is shorting out and will try replacing it, but I thought I would throw it out there for anyone who might know better than I (which could be narrowed down to everyone).

Also, she told me that her dryer starts to smell like something is burning, so I looked and noticed that her vent bends around the side of the dryer and is covered by some panty hose because, apparently, the vent to the outside is blocked. I'm going to go ahead and assume that this is a pretty unsafe setup......extremely hokie at best.....and that is what's causing the smell, but again, feel free to chime in on that situation too.

Slapdad,

You're on the right track, on both counts.

Sounds like your igniter has a "hot spot" as is about to give up on you.

A gas dryer should not be vented indoors for any extended period, possible carbon monoxide problems.

Good Luck,

:) :) :)
Slapdad  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2011 7:19:08 AM(UTC)
Slapdad

Groups: Registered

So venting carbon monoxide back into the house is frowned upon I take it? :D

Thanks for the thumbs up....I'm going to order the parts and give it a whirl......if you don't hear from me in two days, send help! :cool:
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2011 7:30:00 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Slapdad Go to Quoted Post
So venting carbon monoxide back into the house is frowned upon I take it? :D

Thanks for the thumbs up....I'm going to order the parts and give it a whirl......if you don't hear from me in two days, send help! :cool:

Slapdad,

Good Deal,

I'll keep an eye out for your post .

:D :D :D
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply