Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JaxMax  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 14, 2011 9:11:16 AM(UTC)
JaxMax

Groups: Registered

Greetings,
I have an old Kenmore electric dryer that does not heat properly. In the permanent press cycle (High Heat) the heating element heats up right away and stays hot as the dryer runs, in this cycle the timer dial does not move. I can dry clothes just fine but the dryer will not shut off by itself so I have to watch it. In the "Timed" cycle (High Heat) the dryer works fine, and the timer runs, but the heating element only comes on once in a while if at all (Usually at the end of the 50 minute cycle).
I have tested the heating element and the thermostats with an Ohm meter and everything tests fine. All of these parts have been replaced over the past five years along with the belt, pulley wheels, motor and felt drum seals.
This is rather vexing and I hope someone has some insight to this problem. I could get a new dryer but this one seems to working fine aside from the afore mentioned issues. Thanks, Jack.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

rjent  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 14, 2011 9:32:40 AM(UTC)
rjent

Originally Posted by: JaxMax Go to Quoted Post
Greetings,
I have an old Kenmore electric dryer that does not heat properly. In the permanent press cycle (High Heat) the heating element heats up right away and stays hot as the dryer runs, in this cycle the timer dial does not move. I can dry clothes just fine but the dryer will not shut off by itself so I have to watch it. In the "Timed" cycle (High Heat) the dryer works fine, and the timer runs, but the heating element only comes on once in a while if at all (Usually at the end of the 50 minute cycle).
I have tested the heating element and the thermostats with an Ohm meter and everything tests fine. All of these parts have been replaced over the past five years along with the belt, pulley wheels, motor and felt drum seals.
This is rather vexing and I hope someone has some insight to this problem. I could get a new dryer but this one seems to working fine aside from the afore mentioned issues. Thanks, Jack.

Since everything else seems to be working check your lint trap and exhaust where it hooks to the dryer. The same thing happened to my Kenmore a few years ago and the vent was completely clogged just inside the machine with enough dog hair to knit a new dog. I cleaned it and vacuumed, ensured the vent was clear and never had another problem. rjent
JaxMax  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 14, 2011 10:32:21 AM(UTC)
JaxMax

Hello,
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I cleaned out all the vent areas. The area inside the back of the drum was very clogged with lint but is now free. All other areas, vents and blower are clean. The puzzling thing for me is that the heater works fine in one cycle but the timer doesn't, and the heater doesn't work in the "Timed" cycle but the timer does. Does this mean a bad control dial? Thanks very much for the help. Jack.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply