Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sturley  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 14, 2011 10:37:53 AM(UTC)
sturley

Groups: Registered

Purchased new, end of December 2011, dryer running in Normal cycle, somewhere toward middle of cycle it began making a grating noise (lightly metal to metal) somewhat like the static of a mistuned AM station.
Stopped cycle and when drum stopped rotating there was a fairly loud metallic thump as if a 1" socket or something like that had fallen inside the workings of the dryer. All looked OK, and I restarted the dryer and it finished the cycle.
The next Normal Cycle load ran to 11 minutes remaining, I opened door to check on progress - clothes still fairly damp - we bought a new Maytap companion washer at same time and the clothes come out of washer fairly dry to begin with.
Checked lint screen, cleaned minor lint and restarted load, went back 5 minutes later and dryer had reset to 55 minutes and still showed "damp". I was out back and noticed that no air was coming out of the dryer vent, pulled dryer and no air is coming out of the metal duct on the rear of dryer, though i can't see any obstructions there or looking down in into air outlet at lint screen.

Wondering if my blower fan came apart or off it's shaft?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 14, 2011 2:30:26 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Sounds like there is something wrong with the blower. Might be a foreign object inside the blower or the blower wheel is broken.

Your dryer is less than a year old and suppose to be covered with the manufacturer warranty. So do not do anything what can void the warranty and call Maytag for service.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for MAYTAG MEDB850WQ0 27`` ELECTRIC DRYER | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
sturley  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 14, 2011 2:38:54 PM(UTC)
sturley

Thanks Gene, the more I replayed the sounds I had heard and the fact that the dryer is no longer putting out any air - blower fan, has to be and probabably it either came off it's shaft or the fan itself came unglued and lost vanes.

Thanks again.
Gene  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 14, 2011 2:45:58 PM(UTC)
Gene

You are welcome. Keep us posted.

Gene.
sturley  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 14, 2011 2:47:10 PM(UTC)
sturley

Yes Sir, will do.
sturley  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 16, 2011 9:15:30 AM(UTC)
sturley

Gene,

Wanted to thank you again for your suggestions 2 days ago and let you know I called Maytag and scheduled a "Warranty" repair;

Repairman shows today, finds the pully for belt drive on motor shaft laying in the bottom of the dryer housing... set screw backed off allowing the pulley to walk off the shaft. 10 minute fix to re-install pulley, mount belt and close up the housing.

All good, dryer must have been assembled late on Friday afternoon...
Gene  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 16, 2011 12:01:24 PM(UTC)
Gene

You are welcome. I'm glad to hear the problem was that simple and has been fixed.

Thank you for the feedback.

Gene.
Damper123  
#8 Posted : Friday, December 16, 2011 1:43:41 PM(UTC)
Damper123

I have the exact same issue with my Maytag MEDB850WQ0 dryer, however, my warranty JUST expired. We pulled the back off the machine to clean lint from the vented back and there was the silver pulley sitting on the dryer cabinet floor. I see where it came off the blower housing, but cannot find the belt. How do you replace the belt? Is it accessible from the rear? or should we be replacing the blower belt from the front and how?!
kcwilsonii  
#9 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2012 10:40:02 AM(UTC)
kcwilsonii

I got it repaired under warranty, but just barely by 7 days.

2 1/2 weeks went by part came off again.

This appears to be an actual design flaw at this point.
I would recommend contacting Maytag and finding out how many other
people have had this happen to them.

I will be contacting Maytag myself and pointing them back to this discussion and my own experience.

The repair guy this morning use loctite to keep the blower unit nut/belt guide in place. This seems like a short term fix, intended to get somebody past the warranty as the repair is good for another 90 days.

Maybe that's what they did when they put the unit together and applied a glue such as loctite and over time it wears away and the nut comes undone.
RickCartwright  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, April 18, 2012 8:52:07 AM(UTC)
RickCartwright

My exhast blower belt came off. I found the pully that had come off the top of the exhaust blower, put it back on and replaced the belt on the motor shaft then to the exhaust pully. The belt is now rubbing a plastic piece on the top of the exhaust housing. What is wrong???
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply