Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
janscholl  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 24, 2011 7:20:59 PM(UTC)
janscholl

Groups: Registered

Hello

My stackable washer/dryer is about 9-10 years old and it was running fine other than a bit of a squeal when the dryer had been running a bit. Husband decided to vacuum out the lint trap, inside the back, on top etc as we thought the lint may have had a build up. He first did the inside drum lint filter area , removing the trap screen, vacuuming and replacing. The dryer still worked fine. He then took the top off, didn't see much lint and replaced it.(he does not remember if he restarted it at this point. He then took the back panel off and vacuumed it very well, checking the belts for wear and checking for cracks etc. He found the squeal was from the bearing area and applied a bit of WD40, made it twirl and it no longer made noise. He replaced the cover, plugged it back in and nothing. No start up from the dryer (the washer works fine). He took it all apart again to make sure nothing was amiss, or wires lose. Still nothing. So he checked the thermal fuse which is fine. The next thing on the list is the door switch which is fine. He is now trying the on off switch (he just said that is fine) but again, none of this was even touched during the initial cleaning. Is there something he is missing? Like I said, the dryer was fine until he took the back off to vacuum. When he put it back on, nothing worked on the dryer. I hope someone has some ideas as I have dirty clothes to wash and he is retired and driving me bonkers.:rolleyes:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 26, 2011 5:39:10 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Well this is a mystery. The parts that will not let a dryer start are the thermal fuse, the door switch, the start switch and the timer. If all of these are ok I can only suggest checking the wiring, as something may have broken or come loose when he was cleaning it.
janscholl  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 26, 2011 6:14:46 PM(UTC)
janscholl

Groups: Registered

Thank you sidfink43 for your reply. After I posted my inquiry, I took out a bottle of canned air to make sure there were no lint bits hanging around in crucial areas, including using it in the lint filter in the crevices. I was getting crazy at this point. Hubby took off back panel and top to make sure he didn't miss anything like a lose wire. I also took to spraying the canned air in the back just in case something was in the motor area, etc. I walked in the kitchen area, and said let me start pricing new washer/dryer ads from Sunday's paper. He put away the vacuum, closed the door, hit the button. It went on! We didn't do anything but remove more lint dust. He replaced the top and it still worked. He replaced the back and still work. He says it heats up. Woo hoo!! I don't know what the problem is but I need this to last another year or so until I am ready to move. I don't want to leave behind brand new appliances, so hopefully I won't need to replace anything. Now hubby can fix the leaky toilet. Thanks again....Jan in Michigan
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 27, 2011 12:31:27 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Well great, glad you got it working. I am going to guess is that what happened is that you or hubby (probably hubby) did not have the dryer door fully closed when you tried it, and the door switch kept it from working.

Anyway, if it happens again, check and replace the door switch, I think that was your problem since the other devices that keep it from coming on do not reset. Once they fail, they stay failed, sorta like me in the 7th grade.

Thanks for the update, good luck.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply