Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sphilips6@carolina.rr.com  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 17, 2011 1:33:56 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

My Kenmore Dryer started and when I checked it about 45 minutes later, I discovered that it had turned off...probably about 5 to 10 minutes into the dry because the clothes were fairly damp.

The dryer is now dead, no noise no hum no nothing.

Circut breaker is ok. There is no trip button.

The vent out the back of the dryer was clean.

The dryer before it died sounded normal, no strange noise.

A friend told me it might be a broken door catch and to lift the top off...which I did, but I have no idea what I'm looking for and what little was there looked like it was connected.

The service fees that have been quoted to me range from $80 to $129 just for the service call...that's not including parts and labor.

Can you give me some direction on what part I need to order form you? Thanks Suzanne
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 18, 2011 2:04:05 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: sphilips6@carolina.rr.com Go to Quoted Post
My Kenmore Dryer started and when I checked it about 45 minutes later, I discovered that it had turned off...probably about 5 to 10 minutes into the dry because the clothes were fairly damp.

The dryer is now dead, no noise no hum no nothing.

Circut breaker is ok. There is no trip button.

The vent out the back of the dryer was clean.

The dryer before it died sounded normal, no strange noise.

A friend told me it might be a broken door catch and to lift the top off...which I did, but I have no idea what I'm looking for and what little was there looked like it was connected.

The service fees that have been quoted to me range from $80 to $129 just for the service call...that's not including parts and labor.

Can you give me some direction on what part I need to order form you? Thanks Suzanne

Suzanne,

Try the door switch again,

This time just open the dryer door, the actuator is in the top portion of the door openning, press in on the actuator lever and listen for a "click" noise, when you press in and release the lever, no click noise, would indicate a bad switch assembly, try it several times.

There are still several other possibilities, but that will require dismantling and checking circuits, inside the panels, It's not going to be a problem for you, but lets start at the easiest and work from there.

:) :) :)
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2011 9:23:45 AM(UTC)

Thank you for replying,

The item that I pushed is circled in turquoise in one of the attached photos. The second photo attached is the item from 2 angles that seems attched to the lever?

When I pushed what I think is the actuator lever, it's not what I would define as a "click". It's more the sound of when you are in the doctors office and he pulls out a rubber mallot and thumps your knee to test your reflexes..or the sound of tapping a Q-tip on a table. It is a very soft sound.

The attachments do not seem to have attached while looking at your content management area, so in case when you receive this message, here are 2 links where you can copy and paste or view the jpg's.
http://www.iconstructwebs.com/i...Kenmore-110-76455110.jpg

http://www.iconstructwebs.com/i...yer-110-76455110---2.jpg

What do you think?

Originally Posted by: Joe / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
Suzanne,

Try the door switch again,

This time just open the dryer door, the actuator is in the top portion of the door openning, press in on the actuator lever and listen for a "click" noise, when you press in and release the lever, no click noise, would indicate a bad switch assembly, try it several times.

There are still several other possibilities, but that will require dismantling and checking circuits, inside the panels, It's not going to be a problem for you, but lets start at the easiest and work from there.

Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2011 10:47:14 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Thank you for replying,

The item that I pushed is circled in turquoise in one of the attached photos. The second photo attached is the item from 2 angles that seems attched to the lever?

When I pushed what I think is the actuator lever, it's not what I would define as a "click". It's more the sound of when you are in the doctors office and he pulls out a rubber mallot and thumps your knee to test your reflexes..or the sound of tapping a Q-tip on a table. It is a very soft sound.

The attachments do not seem to have attached while looking at your content management area, so in case when you receive this message, here are 2 links where you can copy and paste or view the jpg's.
http://www.iconstructwebs.com/i...Kenmore-110-76455110.jpg

http://www.iconstructwebs.com/i...yer-110-76455110---2.jpg

What do you think?

Suzanne,

Thanks for the pictures, it did help,

Your door catch and strike look fine, and appear that they would hold the door shut and activate the door switch.

The wiring to the door switch appear fine as well.

But there should have been a distinct "click" sound when you activated the lever in the door opening, not a "thunk" or soft noise.

If you feel safe, try this,
unplug the power cord and raise the top.
Disconnect the two wires from the door switch.

Attach the two wires together,(a paper clip works pretty well/insert the clip into one of the wire terminals, then insert the other wire terminal on to the empty end of the paper clip, you can insulate with tape or make sure the wires and clip don't touch any metal).

Set the timer dial and start the machine(like usual).

If the dryer starts, you've got a bad door switch, if not, we'll have to move on,

Can or do you have access to a multi meter ?

We'll be checking voltages and resistance circuits from there.

#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2011 11:58:17 AM(UTC)

It works! And too cool...now at least I can dry my clothes while waiting on the part. What do I order from you. Here's a link to the part close up - http://www.iconstructwebs.com/i...nmore-110-76455110-3.jpg
Joe / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2011 1:50:38 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

It works! And too cool...now at least I can dry my clothes while waiting on the part. What do I order from you. Here's a link to the part close up - http://www.iconstructwebs.com/i...nmore-110-76455110-3.jpg

Suzanne,

Great job,

For the time being, make sure you insulate the connection so it won't short out, and remember to let the dryer shut off, or unplug the power cord before you open the door, I don't want you to hurt yourself.

Here's the part number you need to order,

Part number: AP3094142
Part number: AP3094142

It's a "kit" and will have all new parts that you're going to need.

I know you can "handle it",

Good Luck,
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 25, 2011 1:39:25 PM(UTC)

Hi, it's me again.

Is there a way to test the part? I hooked it up and it does not work. Also, is there an easy way to line up the screw holes. Was very challenged getting the piece screwed in.
Thanks,
Suzanne
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 25, 2011 6:43:54 PM(UTC)

OK, I had the the springy thing going the wrong way. Screws went in eaisier this time.

But now there's a new problem. The dryer door does not stay shut, alas the duct tape.

Any suggestions?

Suzanne
Joe / APP Team  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 26, 2011 6:55:42 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

OK, I had the the springy thing going the wrong way. Screws went in eaisier this time.

But now there's a new problem. The dryer door does not stay shut, alas the duct tape.

Any suggestions?

Suzanne

Suzanne,

Is the door hard to open and close, it should be a little bit, if the catch and strike are working proper.( they looked good in the photos you sent ).

Part number: AP3094183
Part number: AP3094183

I'm sure there will be some resistance difference between the old and new mechanism, but, not enough to keep the door from closing, or allowing it to "pop" open during a cycle.

You may want to also check the photos of the original switch, and make sure the new switch is installed (looks the same) the same way.

#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 26, 2011 10:47:43 AM(UTC)

I might have discovered the problem. Just noticed that on the drop down door, the 2 chrome plates on either side, each having 2 screws in them....on both, the screw farthest from the machine was unsrewed by about a quarter of an inch.

I tightened them but notieced on the left side, it looks like rust is messing with the screw hole. So maybe in the future I'll need to order a new door from you.

I'm hoping the loose screws is the culprit. The door did pop open a lot with a full fat load, but didn't do it with a smaller load. Will keep tabs and maybe I'll need to purchase new AP3094183 part.

Thanks for your help, you all have been great.

Suzanne
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply