Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Farnsworth  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 13, 2011 8:49:47 AM(UTC)
Farnsworth

Groups: Registered

The drum spins freely when the tension spring on the idler pulley is released.
With the tension spring in place the drum is difficult to turn and emits a
grinding sound. This dryer dates back to 1973 and I suspect the bearing in the
blower housing is NG. If you think this is the problem and I was able to locate a new blower housing with bearing (Part #WPLY302815) how difficult is it to replace. At this point I have removed the control panel and cabinet. Your
help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 14, 2011 11:39:42 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Farnsworth Go to Quoted Post
The drum spins freely when the tension spring on the idler pulley is released.
With the tension spring in place the drum is difficult to turn and emits a
grinding sound. This dryer dates back to 1973 and I suspect the bearing in the
blower housing is NG. If you think this is the problem and I was able to locate a new blower housing with bearing (Part #WPLY302815) how difficult is it to replace. At this point I have removed the control panel and cabinet. Your
help is greatly appreciated.

Farnsworth,

I don't think you'd have a bad drum bearing,

More likely, you have a bad blower wheel/spacer and "dirty" drum shaft.

And you're in the position to do a lot better job(with the cabinet off).

Here are some part numbers, I would reccomend you have :

Part number: AP275111
Part number: AP275111

Part number: AP4294262
Part number: AP4294262

Part number: AP4294254
Part number: AP4294254

Part number: AP4290776
Part number: AP4290776

Part number: AP3854879
Part number: AP3854879

Part number: AP3957988
Part number: AP3957988

You most likely have brass bearings, not the original roller bearings, they can usually be cleaned and lubed, and last many years afterwards.

I take for granted, you've already removed the belts and are ready to dismantle the drum and shaft and other parts.

Remove the drum pulley, elbow and all the 1/4" screws and remove the cover, your lint seal is probably not attached to the cover, you can re secure it with contact glue.

Pull the blower wheel off the shaft, and the white nylon spacer behind it.

You'll have a white,square, nylon housing with a black wire attached to it, that slides along the brass ring encompassing the blower felt seal,attached to the drum, disconnect the wire, carefully, don't loose the spring or carbon brush, inside the housing and tape the wire to the drum, so you don't damage it.

Now, remove the tru arc clip, fiber washer and "o" ring off the shaft, slowly rock the drum back and forth while pushing out on the drum, just an inch or two, then remove the drum and shaft from the front, carefully.

Remove the "o" ring and fiber washer, of the shaft, and check for gouges etc.

Use some fine emory cloth or steel wool to clean and shine the shaft, remove all the debris from the washer and "o" ring and area around the bearings.

Use the emory cloth / steel wool to clean and shine both the brass bearings in the housing.

You'll find a felt "wick" between the two bearings, saturate the wick with the turbine oil, lube the front "o"ring and re install washer and ring on shaft,put a thin coat of oil on the shaft, and carefully re install.

lube the "o" ring and install the washer and tru arc clip on the back side.
install the spacer an lube the shaft area and install the blower wheel, and remainder of the parts.

Remove the idler pulley off the shaft assembly, use the emory cloth to clean the shaft and brass bearing in the pulley and use the oil to lube the shaft. Use the grease to lube the flat "slide" part of the idler shaft assembly, and complete the remainder of the re construction.

It'd be great if you can do the repair and keep that dryer going for a few more years.

Good Luck,
:) :) :)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply