Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mboomtown  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 23, 2010 6:49:22 AM(UTC)
mboomtown

Groups: Registered

:confused: Dryer is relatively new and looks nice. When i got it, it was clogged up bad with lent. Took awhile to clean it all out. I did a continuity check on the timer switch and when i pushed it in, it then showed continuity. I think that would mean it is okay. I also checked door switch and all the other things that i could see and get to. All showed continuity. I was just wondering if there was a switch of some sort, that would cut off the power, because the lent exhaust was so clogged up to the point where it was just to over loaded. Something which could be re-set. Any input on this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thank You, M.B.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 23, 2010 10:48:56 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for MAYTAG PYE3300AYW DRYER- ELE | AppliancePartsPros.com

The most likely culprit is the thermal fuse Item 5 In Section 4.
It is not resettable and must be replaced.
It could blow because of the lint but I would also check the other things.

If it is blown you have to find out what caused it to go.
Note: that sometimes they do just blow on their own but changing it without checking other things is a gamble.

Check the heating coil.
Unplug the unit and both wires to the coil.
Check it with a meter, should be around 12 ohms.
Then check from each side of the coil to the case/frame, both should be infinite ohms (open). If not the coil may have sagged or broken and is touching the case. This can cause it to run on high and the thermostats cannot regulate it so the thermal fuse blows.

If the above is OK then you will also have to replace the hi-limit as it should have regulated the temperature so the fuse did not blow.
Note: That unless there is another problem in the unit the hi-limit should never have to open. It is just a safety device with the fuse being a backup safety device.

You still have to find out why it blew.
Check that the belt is OK.
Check the seals (drum etc) in the unit. The air is pulled over the heating coils, through the drum and pushed out the exhaust. So any large seal leak will pull in room air and the cycling thermostat on the blower will run the unit hot.
Check that the lint filter is not coated with fabric softener residue which greatly reduces air flow.
Check/clean your vent system.
Check/clean the blower wheel.

If all OK you may want to replace the cycling thermostat as it's contacts may not be opening (welded shut).

Also does the interior light go on, if not you may have a power problem.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply