Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DB in NC  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 17, 2010 6:17:30 PM(UTC)
DB in NC

Groups: Registered

I am officially stumped -- trying to replace the belt on my Maytag Quiet Series 100 MDET446AYW. Last year I replaced the pulley and rollers due to squeaking, and then all was fine. About a month ago, the drum quit turning when loaded with "heavy" loads that had normally been no problem. Assuming the belt was worn, I have replaced it, but the problem continues. The belt spins around the drum but the drum won't turn.

I am positive I have the belt routed properly, but cannot verify for sure because none of the diagrams I have found for Maytag dryers matches exactly. But, after lots of trial and error, I can't find any other way the belt would be routed. I have even flipped the drum 180 degrees to give it a new path.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very welcome -- if it's not the belt, what else could be causing the problem?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 18, 2010 2:39:41 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for MAYTAG MDET446AYW DRYER- ELE | AppliancePartsPros.com

Here are a couple links to belt routing diagrams, with luck one of them will confirm that you have the idler pulley correctly installed. Look at the shape of the idler setup as it may have been used on other makes of dryers.
http://forum.appliancepartspros...dryer-belt-diagrams.html
http://www.applianceaid.com/images/belt-config.JPG
It almost sounds like the idler tension spring needs replacing.
Normally if the drum will not turn due to a jam etc. it will stall the motor.
Have you checked that the ridges on the belt are riding on the motor's pulley.

Try turning the drum by hand. It should rotate fairly easily. You may want to try this on a couple units so you get a feel for it.

If there seems to be excessive drag I would check the front drum support glides.

Here is another thing to check but again I think if this was your problem it would stall the motor.
http://www.applianceaid.com/drymotor_bad.html
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
DB in NC  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 18, 2010 4:43:51 AM(UTC)
DB in NC

The closest belt path configuration is the Whirlpool - Non-Removable Back Panel. Belt ridges are riding against motor pulley. I thought about the spring, too.

I need to compare to some other dryers (here I come, Lowe's), but there may be some drag when turning. I will try replacing the spring and support glides. Thanks for your help!
DB in NC  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 27, 2010 6:11:21 AM(UTC)
DB in NC

Well, it's not the support glides -- I replaced both, but the problem is actually worse now. Haven't had a chance to compare to other dryers, but I think that the drum is a little hard to turn (turns smoothly, but seems to take more effort than it should). If we pop the top of the dryer and puch the drum or play with the belt to get extra tension, we can get it going, but that's not a long-term solution.

What about the felt that the drum glides on? Can that get too matted down? If so, it looks like that requires major part replacement not just the felt rings.

I am also starting to wonder if the motor is bad, based on reading some other posts.
techman_hou  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 26, 2012 4:32:39 PM(UTC)
techman_hou

Originally Posted by: DB in NC Go to Quoted Post
Well, it's not the support glides -- I replaced both, but the problem is actually worse now. Haven't had a chance to compare to other dryers, but I think that the drum is a little hard to turn (turns smoothly, but seems to take more effort than it should). If we pop the top of the dryer and puch the drum or play with the belt to get extra tension, we can get it going, but that's not a long-term solution.

What about the felt that the drum glides on? Can that get too matted down? If so, it looks like that requires major part replacement not just the felt rings.

I am also starting to wonder if the motor is bad, based on reading some other posts.

I'm having similar issue with my Maytag LDG490
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply