Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
badtimer  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 6, 2010 10:49:15 AM(UTC)
badtimer

Groups: Registered

sI suspect that the problem with my Maytag LDE512 dryer is a failing timer switch but since the problem started at the exact time the motor failed and was replaced I'd like a second opinion. Here's what's happening:

1. Immediately after the motor was replaced, the dryer heated, timed, and buzzed when finished, perfectly normally when using the Manual setting. More recently, the buzzer had gotten increasingly flaky on the Manual setting. The buzzer sometimes goes off at the start of the Manual cycle or randomly during the cycle. Sometimes it just buzzes for a short time and quits and sometimes it buzzes until the timer knob is twiddled. But it still heats and times correctly.

2. When on the Automatic setting, the buzzer sounds continuously except that it can be silenced for short intervals by jiggling the timer knob. I disconnected the buzzer (to stop the annoyance) and tested the Automatic setting. It fails. The timer stays at the time originally set and does not move; even after an hour the pointer remains at the same place on the dial. Also, the heat does not come on at all. The motor runs normally but that's the only thing that works on Automatic.

3. When the machine was off I touched the metal cylindrical cover at the back of the timer switch and got a shock. The voltage from that cover to ground measured 120.4v. I've never known a good switch to have full voltage applied to an external cover!

The answer to someone else's question about the buzzer suggested that the motor centrifugal switch could be the problem. Since the buzzer is (mostly) silent on the Manual cycle, I think this indicates the motor switch is OK. Also, the suggested cure was to remove lint from the motor. This doesn't apply to a brand new clean motor. So... The failure of the Automatic cycle to do anything, the ability to stop the buzzer (if very temporarily) by jiggling the timer knob, and the 120v on the outside of the timer tells me I have a bad timer. Could the failure of the motor cause a surge that would affect the timer? Any other possibilities? Many thanks for any help anyone can provide.ss
s
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.