Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rlmcmillen  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 27, 2010 3:08:20 PM(UTC)
rlmcmillen

Groups: Registered

When the dryer cycle is set and started, the timer won't advance regardless of the type of cycle chosen. Opening the door when the clothes are adequately dry is the only way to use the dryer. I replaced the timer unit and the problem persisted. I am scratching my head as to where I should proceed next. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 28, 2010 3:17:01 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for MDE600AYW models | AppliancePartsPros.com

Here is a manual
http://appliancedigest.com/index.php?/files/go/71cbf82e4faf1a2a4ce735d8d97710c7/16023110-maytag-sloped-front-dryer-repair-service-manual
You may have to join the site to download the manual but it is free and this is a good site for service info.

Always an outside chance that you received a bad timer.
Only real way to check is to put the unit into timed dry mid cycle and see itf the timer motor is getting voltage (120 volts) If it is and not advancing then it is toast.
I do not recommend this unless you feel comfortable with electical service as care must be taken. There is 240 volts at the timer which is lethal.

Looks like in all modes the timer motor gets it's power through the dryness sensor board so that would be at the top of my list.
Unplug the unit and check for a dab connection, cracked track, cold solder joint etc. on the board.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
kayakcrzy  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 28, 2010 5:33:17 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Originally Posted by: rlmcmillen Go to Quoted Post
When the dryer cycle is set and started, the timer won't advance regardless of the type of cycle chosen. Opening the door when the clothes are adequately dry is the only way to use the dryer. I replaced the timer unit and the problem persisted. I am scratching my head as to where I should proceed next. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Look at the timer that you put in, and sometimes there is a wire to hook up on the timer to make the timer advance. If that is cool. Then here is the way to distinquish if you have a timer problem, or a sensor problem. Turn the dryer on to the timed dry cycle. Lets just say 60 minutes, if it does not move to 50 minutes in 10 minutes you have a bad timer. If it does move, it would most likely be a sensor problem. I see alot of times that the sensor wire vibrates off, so check that, before you buy a sensor. Also, if the wires are both on, get some alcohol, or nail polish remover, and clean the sensor. Sometimes if you use dryer sheets, you can get a buildup on the sensor, and it won't sence. Also check the vent to the outside. Tom ApplianceEducator.com
denman  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 28, 2010 6:35:37 AM(UTC)
denman

The timer on this unit looks like it gets power through the dryness board in both timed dry and auto modes.
rlmcmillen  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 28, 2010 9:36:20 AM(UTC)
rlmcmillen

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
The timer on this unit looks like it gets power through the dryness board in both timed dry and auto modes.

It looks like there is a brown wire that drives the timer motor that attaches to a circuit board in the head unit (dryness sensor display). I have checked all the wiring, cleaned the sensor in the drum and removed and examined the circuit board. What are the chances that the circuit board in the dryness sensor display is fried? I don't know of any way to tell if its the circuit board is the problem other than to buy a new one and test it out.

Of note, my exhaust goes to a window well which I installed a cover for about the time this issue started. However, it doesn't totally restrict airflow. Any chances this is related to my timer not advancing? I know it sounds crazy but I am starting to run out of ideas.

Thanks so much for everyones help!
denman  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 29, 2010 12:28:07 AM(UTC)
denman

[COLOR="Blue"]What are the chances that the circuit board in the dryness sensor display is fried?[/COLOR]
I would say that the odds are very high.

[COLOR="Blue"]Any chances this is related to my timer not advancing?[/COLOR]
None. If it was causing a problem it would blow a thermal fuse and the unit would not start.
kayakcrzy  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 29, 2010 3:23:11 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

[COLOR="Blue"]What are the chances that the circuit board in the dryness sensor display is fried?[/COLOR]

None. If it was causing a problem it would blow a thermal fuse and the unit would not start.

I had suggested you try a cycle on time dry. Have you done that???? The reason being, it eliminates any doings with the board, the sensors, and the thermostats. So if the timer does not move then, you have a bad timer. Tom ApplianceEducator.com
rlmcmillen  
#8 Posted : Monday, November 29, 2010 4:50:55 PM(UTC)
rlmcmillen

Originally Posted by: kayakcrzy Go to Quoted Post
I had suggested you try a cycle on time dry. Have you done that???? The reason being, it eliminates any doings with the board, the sensors, and the thermostats. So if the timer does not move then, you have a bad timer. Tom ApplianceEducator.com

Tom-
That was one of the very first things I tried. It did not advance. I don't think its the timer because the timer stopped advancing, so I bought and installed a new timer unit and the problem persisted. I am fairly certain that it has to be the circuit board in the dryness display unit. It appears to drive the motor for the timer.

How do I tell if the circuit board is bad without trial and error?

Thanks as always!
rlmcmillen  
#9 Posted : Monday, November 29, 2010 4:56:06 PM(UTC)
rlmcmillen

I'm not an electrician, but my common sense tells me that it has to be that circuit board. I was kind of baffled when I put in a new timer and put it on a timed cycle and it didn't advance, so that makes sense that the board runs the motor regardless of the timed vs automatic cycle. Any way to test it without trial and error with a new board?
denman  
#10 Posted : Monday, November 29, 2010 6:00:37 PM(UTC)
denman

Yes you can get a line cord and attach it across the timer motor.
If the timer advances odds are very very high that it is OK.
But then I think the odds are very high right now that the board is shot.

Just make sure that the machine is unplugged while you do this or you could end up with a big arc and spark.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply