Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lmckelvy  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 9, 2010 1:19:54 PM(UTC)
lmckelvy

Groups: Registered

This dryer is about 5 years old. Saturday after being used all morning the dryer began to make a roaring sound. I turned it off and back on without result. Then I let it cool down for an hour and turned it back on. It was quiet for about 15 minutes, then the roar started up again, softly at first but getting louder and louder.

Does this sound like a drum bearing, or could it be the motor going out? I don't smell anything like burning points, but I also don't hear any grinding.

Thanks for any help!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

lmckelvy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 10, 2010 4:21:13 PM(UTC)
lmckelvy

Well, I checked again today and the noise starts immediately. I took off the front and inspected the blower and vacuumed up all the lint. The blower seemed tight, but it was pressed on (no nut) so I can't adjust it anyway. The belt is in good shape.

I wondered if it was the rear bearing, but after listening to it a while I was still not sure. I reassembled it and called my wife in to listen. She uses it all the time, so I wanted to know if she detected anything I was missing. She said that it doesn't sound right when it first starts up. After a couple of starts and stops, it seems that the motor lags a bit when it first kicks on.

I remember that the motor normally seemed to start instantly before, so I'm wondering if there is some kind of capacitor that might be the problem.

Anyone have any input?
denman  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 11, 2010 1:24:25 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here is the parts breakdown.
Replacement parts for FRIGIDAIRE LER331DS0 Frigidaire/dryer | AppliancePartsPros.com

This is difficult to be of much help without actually being there,
If you click on the pictures of the parts then often a new image with more views or an expanded view will open. This may help you see what the new parts should look like.

Try running the unit disconnected from the vent, this may reduce the echo in the unit and help narrow down what is causing the racket.

You will have to remove the drum and check for wear etc.
One thing to note is that when you remove the clip (Item 6 in Section 1) from the back of the unit be careful as the ball bearing (Item 5 in Section 1) likes to jump our and then play hide and seek. So you end up spending an hour looking for it.

Check the rear drum support/bearing for wear. Clean it out and re-lube it. When reassembling be sure to use a high temp grease (NI at the end of Section 1) to re-lube it.
Normally these start squeaking/screeching when they need lube or are worn.

Check the front felt seals for wear (Items 20 and 21 in Section 2). Also where they ride.

Check that there is nothing between the drum and the machine. Bra wires are notorious for this though usually it is a scraping noise,.

Check that there is not too much slop in the idler wheel bearing.

Spin the motor to see if there is any wobble or indication of bearing slop.
Also look at the blower wheel to see if there is wobble there.
From the parts it looks like your blower wheel is screwed onto the motor shaft. This is probably a left hand thread.

Sorry I can not be of more help but this type of problem can be a bear at the best of times.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
lmckelvy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 11, 2010 4:43:16 AM(UTC)
lmckelvy

Thanks for the detailed response, denman.

I will try your suggestion when I get home tonight. I did check the blower for slop and it seemed tight, only moving the motor shaft a 16th (or less) of an inch back/forth, but no wobble and it was tight on the shaft. I thought about running the dryer motor after disconnecting the drum, but I think without the load the result would be inconclusive. There is no screeching or squealing, though there does seem to be a little more vibration than normal. The drum turns normally and heats up fine, it just roars. It really sounds like a bearing (motor or drum), but there doesn't seem to be any way to test which one it might be.
denman  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 11, 2010 5:00:12 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
It is not a good idea to run without the drum unless you run air/fluff cycle.

The air is pulled over the heating coils through the drum and pushed out the exhaust. So running it without the drum in can blow a thermal fuse.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
lmckelvy  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 11, 2010 5:04:55 AM(UTC)
lmckelvy

That's good advice, thanks! When I take this thing apart is there any way to check the motor bearing? I don't want to spend $114 if I don't have to...
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply