Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
areznik  
#11 Posted : Saturday, November 15, 2008 1:20:27 PM(UTC)
areznik

Groups: Registered

Although I didn&#8217;t get to the door switch, it seams to be fine, because every time I open the door, the dryer cycle stops.

As to the whether the timer motor gets 110-120VAC, I found out that its getting the voltage only when I hear a click at a certain position of the timer dial and the voltage disappears at the one of the three &#8220;Off&#8221; positions on the dial (when it sounds a buzzer).

The problem is that those clicks that start the bring voltage (and start the timer motor), actually located almost at the end of the dial &#8211; practically right before each of the &#8220;Off&#8221; positions. This is weird. I think when I had a good timer, I heard those clicks at each label on the dial, such as &#8220;More Dry&#8221;, &#8220;Less Dry&#8221;, etc. So, does this mean for sure that the new part is defective? Might there be anything else wrong?
denman  
#12 Posted : Saturday, November 15, 2008 1:50:44 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here is a service manual
http://www.servicematters.com/m...ibrary/docs/16023086.pdf

The important part is the timing chart.
You will notice that in timed dry the timer gets power through timer contacts #2 for the entire cycle. On other cycles it gets power from the cycling thermostat at least for part of the cycle. Thermostat shuts off the heater but turns on the timer using the normally open contacts.

Hope this helps!
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
areznik  
#13 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2008 2:43:55 PM(UTC)
areznik

Groups: Registered

Maybe because I am not that technical, I didn't exactly understand what I should do next. Could you please explain in simple, layman terms?
denman  
#14 Posted : Monday, November 24, 2008 4:23:12 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
OK looking at the wiring diagram page 9-14.
The timing chart shows the different timer settings and what contacts are closed at those settings.The timer is shown with all the contacts open. The TEMP SWITCH is shown in the Air only setting.

The first question is does the timer advance when set to timed dry?

You will notice in timed dry contacts 2 are closed for the entire cycle
Your timer motor gets power by the following path: Neutral, WHite, TIMER MOTOR, ORange, timer contacts 2, YeLlow, L1.

Now lets put the timer into Permanent Press at the start of the cycle where timer contacts 2 are open, and we set the temp switch to REG MED DEL. Now the path to get power to the timer motor is Neutral, WHite, TIMER MOTOR, ORange, CYCLING THST contacts ReD, REG MED DEL on the temp switch, BLue, timer contacts 3, timer contacts 4, BLack, L1

In the above the timer gets power when the cycling thermostat is Off (heater switched off). The diagram shows its contacts in the Normaly Closed position and the heater is on in this position. When the termostat gets hot enough it switches to the Normaly Open position the heater shuts off and power for the timer motor goes through the NO contacts. So your timer only gets power when the hreating element is switched off.

You are just trying to get L1 (line 1 is at 120 volts) to Neutral so you have 120 volts supplied to the timer motor.

It may be easier to understand if you print a number of copies of the wiring diagram. The then pretend that the dryer is set to a certain cycle type and temperature setting. Look at the timing chart and mark the contacts which are closed on your print. Then the exercise is to trace a path from L1 to Neutral so it is across the timer motor.

I hope the above helps, guess I should of paid more attention to the communications class when I was in school.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply