Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LesterS  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 28, 2010 8:37:05 PM(UTC)
LesterS

Groups: Registered

Igniter is cycling on and off repeatedly without the gas going on. It seems from the on line forum discussions that the problem is most certainly the coil(s) on the gas valve...If I am correct, the radiant sensor is supposed to sense that the igniter is on/glowing so it could pass a signal to the gas valve coils to turn on the gas.....I tested the radiant sensor and it showed positive for continuity, but isn't there a certain range or minimum voltage or amperage that it should put out to effectively trigger the coil(s)? Is continuity alone a certain/positive confirmation of a properly working radiant sensor? Wouldn't a good igniter and faulty radiant sensor cause the same problem (gas not firing)? I tested the terminals of the radiant sensor for voltage while the dryer was running and found one to be HOT with approx 125V and the other to show about .33V (1/3V) before the igniter lit, and immediately increased to approx 1.5V when the ignitor kicked on. As soon as the igniter shut down, the voltage went back to the original .33V. Does anyone know what the proper operating range (v or a) for the radiant sensor is so that it can be ruled out as the potential problem? Does this make sense? Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 29, 2010 7:49:52 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LesterS Go to Quoted Post
Igniter is cycling on and off repeatedly without the gas going on. It seems from the on line forum discussions that the problem is most certainly the coil(s) on the gas valve...If I am correct, the radiant sensor is supposed to sense that the igniter is on/glowing so it could pass a signal to the gas valve coils to turn on the gas.....I tested the radiant sensor and it showed positive for continuity, but isn't there a certain range or minimum voltage or amperage that it should put out to effectively trigger the coil(s)? Is continuity alone a certain/positive confirmation of a properly working radiant sensor? Wouldn't a good igniter and faulty radiant sensor cause the same problem (gas not firing)? I tested the terminals of the radiant sensor for voltage while the dryer was running and found one to be HOT with approx 125V and the other to show about .33V (1/3V) before the igniter lit, and immediately increased to approx 1.5V when the ignitor kicked on. As soon as the igniter shut down, the voltage went back to the original .33V. Does anyone know what the proper operating range (v or a) for the radiant sensor is so that it can be ruled out as the potential problem? Does this make sense? Thanks!

Lester,

Double checked , I have no resistance reading for a radiant sensor.

Like I mentioned in the previous post, it is a basic switch, it's either an open or closed circuit.
:cool: :cool: :cool:
LesterS  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 29, 2010 9:26:43 AM(UTC)
LesterS

Groups: Registered

Thanks Joe at the APP Team!!!!! I read your response to my post in the Scolmery thread.....I can now order the replacement coils without that little nagging voice in my head saying.."what if...?" I'm pretty handy, but electric circuitry always baffles me, and like you said, "I was almost on the money".....and with electricity, that's enough to get you zapped! Thank You for your professionalism!
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 29, 2010 12:26:35 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LesterS Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Joe at the APP Team!!!!! I read your response to my post in the Scolmery thread.....I can now order the replacement coils without that little nagging voice in my head saying.."what if...?" I'm pretty handy, but electric circuitry always baffles me, and like you said, "I was almost on the money".....and with electricity, that's enough to get you zapped! Thank You for your professionalism!

Lester,

Your very welcome,

Drop us a line, whenever you need more advise or help.

We've got a great group of guys on this forum.

Good Luck,
:) :) :)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply