Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LesterS  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 28, 2010 12:48:13 PM(UTC)
LesterS

Groups: Registered

Hi, this is my first post here as it is my first issue with this 18yr old Maytag (except for the time I broke the fragile igniter while "shop-vacing" the cabinet...(now I know better!). My igniter is kicking on, but the gas usually does not fire (on seldom occasion it does), then the igniter goes off and soon repeats this cycle over and over with no gas firing. From my research on line it seems overwhelmingly that this is a "no-brainer" problem with the coil(s) on the gas valve and that it is very uncommon that it would be the gas valve itself. I checked both the thermal fuse and the radiant sensor and both tested positive for continuity. Further, I checked the voltage at both terminals of the radiant sensor with the dryer running. I found one to be HOT showing approx 125V and the other at approx .33V (1/3V) before the igniter kicks on. As soon as the igniter kicks on, the .33V terminal kicks up to approx 1.5V and then kicks back down to .33V when the igniter cycles off. It seems that it is certainly sensing the igniter, but is this the correct/enough voltage to make the coil(s) do their thing...or is it possible that I have a faulty radiant sensor? I would guess and replace the gas valve coils (there are 2), but was wondering if anybody knew the correct voltage range on that radiant sensor to conclusively rule that out as a problem. Thanks in advance for any input! I would like to get a voltage reading on that sensor when the gas does fire up (to see if it is any different/higher), but have not been able to catch one...will keep trying!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.