Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jenshimpi  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 26, 2008 3:12:21 PM(UTC)
jenshimpi

Groups: Registered

Hi! I pulled out my lint trap to empty and when I went to put it back in, I accidentally knocked in a big (8" diameter) plastic lid to a bucket of Oxyclean. The lid went down the "slot" where the lint trap goes. I tried to put duct tape on the end of trap but can't feel anything. I also stuck my hand in the back of the dryer in the vent hole and can feel a "fan" like thing but no lid. I tried to run the dryer .... it works fine.

My worry is the lid melting and fire hazard. Is my worry warranted? How do I get this lid out? Do I have to take off the whole back?

It's a gas whirlpool dryer - Model lgr5620kq1

Thanks so much for any help.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

SublimeMasterJW  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 26, 2008 3:35:35 PM(UTC)
SublimeMasterJW

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Get that lid out of there. Use a coat hanger to fish it out before it gets behind the blower wheel and that will not be good. To remove the filter housing you must remove those 2 phillips screws on the top and pop the top remove the front panel being careful not to break the clips(raise up on the front after the screws are removed) once that is out of the way get the drum out. This sounds complicated but it really is not. Once the tub is out you can get to the 2 screws holding the rear bulkhead on the filter housing side. Next you remove the back panel and remove the four screws holding the blower/filter housing on. Grab the filter housing and yank it out of the top. Get the lid out and while you are at it go ahead and clean the housing out. Then put it all back together. Piece of cake. If you can change spark plugs or brake pads you can fix this dryer.
thanks 1 user thanked SublimeMasterJW for this useful post.
d41king on 5/3/2020(UTC)
geebee  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 24, 2010 6:25:43 AM(UTC)
geebee

Originally Posted by: SublimeMasterJW Go to Quoted Post
Get that lid out of there. Use a coat hanger to fish it out before it gets behind the blower wheel and that will not be good. To remove the filter housing you must remove those 2 phillips screws on the top and pop the top remove the front panel being careful not to break the clips(raise up on the front after the screws are removed) once that is out of the way get the drum out. This sounds complicated but it really is not. Once the tub is out you can get to the 2 screws holding the rear bulkhead on the filter housing side. Next you remove the back panel and remove the four screws holding the blower/filter housing on. Grab the filter housing and yank it out of the top. Get the lid out and while you are at it go ahead and clean the housing out. Then put it all back together. Piece of cake. If you can change spark plugs or brake pads you can fix this dryer.

I did a Google search for this topic thinking there couldn't possibly have been someone else who did this and wow, there was. Thanks so much for these detailed instructions. In a half hour I was able to remove the lint trap as instructed, remove the lid, clean the sucker out (they're pretty dirty) and replace the unit and back. One note - I didn't need to take the tub out, once I removed all the screws I just pulled it out from the back. Very easy, just follow the instructions.
Thanks again! Saved me having to pay a repair man who knows how much. These appliance repair guys seem to be around $150 minimum for whatever the job is.:eek:
SweetIrony  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 7, 2012 10:57:45 AM(UTC)
SweetIrony

I'm another person who was helped by this thread! Last night I knocked a small level down the lint trap. I did try the coat hanger thing, to no avail. This morning I got it out, thanks to this thread as well as this video I found:

Dryer Repair Help Video "Top Lint Trap Dryer" - YouTube

I also did not take the drum out, I pulled it out the back instead. Thank you SublimeMasterJW!
georgieboy  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 1:14:25 PM(UTC)
georgieboy

HEY sublime master I cant thank you enough for the help I to easily did this myself, after calling whirlpool and them quoting a 150$ minimum service fee. I would have just got a new dryer. now got cloth and hanger out also cleaned entire unit. I could not believe how much junk was back there and now it runs like a champ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2023 4:39:28 PM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
You saved my life dude. Did it! Many thanks
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2023 6:12:26 AM(UTC)

United States

You just saved my life!!!! you're instructions were direct and simple!! Thank you!!
#8 Posted : Monday, November 27, 2023 6:45:23 AM(UTC)

United States

Hi
I popped the panel up after taking the 2 phillips head screws out.
How do you get the drum out? It’s doesn’t seem to want to come out. Perhaps I am doing it wrong. Thx for any help.
#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 28, 2023 4:11:22 AM(UTC)

United States

The drum will come out but you will need release the belt tension first. Reach in underneath the drum after the front cover is removed and move the tension arm and wiggle the belt off the motor pulley. The drum may be hanging up a bit on the rear drum seal and the rear support rollers so rotate it a little when lifting up on the drum using the belt. It will come out!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply