Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nomadx  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 16, 2010 9:07:25 AM(UTC)
nomadx

Groups: Registered

The dryer runs but there is no heat. I checked voltages at the outlet and that seems OK (about 240 and 120/120). Took the back off and checked various places with a continuity tester - heating element, high limit thermostat, thermal cut-out, thermal fuse, cycling thermostat. I'm getting an open reading on both the thermal-cutoff (#3 in the bulkhead parts list) and on the thermostat (#25 on the bulkhead parts list). While I can replace both parts (don't know if I'll have to replace the cycling thermostat too since that fits into the thermostat?), I'm concerned that there might be something else I should look at since I expected to find only a single failure. I did check the vent pipe - there was a small buildup of lint at the bottom just before the external vent but it didn't seem to be affecting the air flow much. Don't know if it's pertinent but my wife said the dryer seemed to be taking longer to dry things before the heat failed.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 16, 2010 12:19:13 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Item 25 is not actually a thermostat, though it is listed as one. In reality it is a heater. It is used to add heat to the thermostat when using lower temperature settings. This has the effect of reducing the unit's heater running temperature.
Check it for continuity could be as high as 30,000 ohms. I do not have a wiring diagram so am unsure about the value many are around 7,000 ohms. It probably read open due to your meter scale being too low to read it.

Item 3 is the thermal cut-off (fuse)
You have to find out what caused it to go.
Note: that sometimes they do just blow on their own but changing it without checking other things is a gamble. I believe richappy (another regular poster on this forum) has done a study on thermostats and found a wide variation of actual trip point and what is specified.

Check the heating coil.
Unplug the unit and both wires to the coil.
Check it with a meter, should be around 10 to 12 ohms.
Then check from each side of the coil to the case/frame, both should be infinite ohms (open). If not the coil may have sagged or broken and is touching the case. This can cause it to run on high and the thermostats cannot regulate it.

If the above is OK then you will also have to replace the hi-limit as it should have regulated the temperature so the fuse did not blow.

You still have to find out why it blew.
Check that the belt is OK.
Check the seals (drum etc) in the unit. The air is pulled over the heating coils, through the drum and pushed out the exhaust. So any large seal leak will pull in room air and the cycling thermostat on the blower will run the unit hot.
Check that the lint filter is not coated with fabric softener residue which greatly reduces air flow.
Check/clean your vent system.
Check/clean the blower wheel.

If all OK you may want to replace the cycling thermostat as it's contacts may not be opening (welded shut).
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
nomadx  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 16, 2010 6:11:41 PM(UTC)
nomadx

Thanks for the quick response.

I've checked the heater (#25) again. It read about 3600 ohms. That's lower than what you suggested it might be - don't know if that is a problem.

I also checked the heating coil using your instructions. It's about 10 ohms across the terminal and was open from each terminal to the heater casing.

The lint filter doesn't look like it's clogged but there is a small hole in the screen - don't know if that could allow excess lint to get where it shouldn't be.

I've checked the vent hose and it is clear. Stuck my hand into the fitting where it exits to the outside and that seems good too. And when the dryer is on I can feel a pretty good blast of air coming out of the vent to the outside.

I haven't checked the belt, seals or blower wheel yet. I assume I could examine the belt and seals by taking off the top? Could you point me to hints on the best way to do that? I've seen conflicting instructions on how to get the top off. And is there an easy way to get to the blower? It seems to spin freely but perhaps there's a buildup of lint in it?
denman  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 17, 2010 3:29:56 AM(UTC)
denman

[COLOR="Blue"]I've checked the heater (#25) again. It read about 3600 ohms. That's lower than what you suggested it might be - don't know if that is a problem.[/COLOR]
It sounds OK. It is just a heater so if it has continuity it is usually good. In any case it should not give you a no heat condition.

[COLOR="Blue"]I also checked the heating coil using your instructions. It's about 10 ohms across the terminal and was open from each terminal to the heater casing.[/COLOR]
Sounds good

I've checked the vent hose and it is clear. Stuck my hand into the fitting where it exits to the outside and that seems good too. And when the dryer is on I can feel a pretty good blast of air coming out of the vent to the outside.
Also sounds good.
[COLOR="Blue"]
I haven't checked the belt, seals or blower wheel yet. I assume I could examine the belt and seals by taking off the top? Could you point me to hints on the best way to do that? I've seen conflicting instructions on how to get the top off. And is there an easy way to get to the blower? It seems to spin freely but perhaps there's a buildup of lint in it?[/COLOR]

Here is a good link with info on many Whirlpool models.
http://www.applianceaid.com/whirlpool-dryers.html
When up have it opened up you may as well check the rear rollers, front support rings, belt etc. basically an overhaul.
As to getting to the blower wheel I do not know of an easy way. The long filter chute has to be removed or undone and moved up to get at the wheel.

So far I would say you need a thermal cut-off and a hi-limit thermostat.
nomadx  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 17, 2010 9:55:27 AM(UTC)
nomadx

Thanks for the pointer to the disassembly instructions.

I got the top off (one of the clips was a bear to release). Took out the drum. There was a fair amount of lint inside the cabinet. I vacuumed all of that out. The drum and front panel seals look good. The belt - well it looks like a belt. One of the rollers (the one above the motor) doesn't seem to turn as freely as the other.

Loosened the lint chute from the back. I discovered that there were two or three handfuls of lint, sand, etc. in the base of the chute. I cleaned the loose lint off the blades and removed the buildup of stuff and vacuumed it. I suspect that this accumulation of debris may be the reason for the no heat problem?

I also noticed a lot of debris in the exhaust seal (#73) - it's foam and seems to be falling apart. Perhaps that needs to be replaced as well.

Is it possible to get the lint chute off? With the bend at the top it doesn't seem like it can come out unless the top panel on the back of the machine comes off. However, it doesn't appear that the upper panel comes off. Perhaps if I take out the two screws on the upper right inside that will provide enough play to get the chute out? Or would it be better to leave well enough alone? I'm not sure I want to take the machine apart even more than I already have.

I'd like to get the chute out so I could clean it more. It would also make it easier to replace the exhaust seal. But perhaps I can do what I have to do without removing it from the machine?
nomadx  
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 17, 2010 9:03:13 PM(UTC)
nomadx

Although I removed all the stuff from the lint chute, I probably should have mentioned that it didn't seem to be obstructing the blower hole. However, I'm guessing that when the blower is on that some of it might have been blowing around and that might have caused a problem.

I've got one other question. I noticed that although the blower housing seal (#4) seems OK it is quite thin (probably between 1/16 and 1/8 inch). Is that the way it normally is?
denman  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 18, 2010 2:17:27 AM(UTC)
denman

[COLOR="Blue"]Is it possible to get the lint chute off? With the bend at the top it doesn't seem like it can come out unless the top panel on the back of the machine comes off. However, it doesn't appear that the upper panel comes off. Perhaps if I take out the two screws on the upper right inside that will provide enough play to get the chute out? Or would it be better to leave well enough alone?[/COLOR]
Not sure I quite understand the above.
You should be able to undo the screws holding the chute in place and then move it up and/or to the side to get at the blower wheel. You should also be able to reach around to feel for any junk in the chute. To remove the chute it has to come out the top. Loosening the inside panel on one side will let you do this. I think that is what you are referring two when you say the two screws upper right.

[COLOR="Blue"]I've got one other question. I noticed that although the blower housing seal (#4) seems OK it is quite thin (probably between 1/16 and 1/8 inch). Is that the way it normally is?[/COLOR]
Cannot say about the thickness. It should seal the opening, if it does it is OK.
nomadx  
#8 Posted : Monday, October 18, 2010 1:59:15 PM(UTC)
nomadx

Thanks for all the help. So far, I think I need a thermal cut-off (#3). I'll also replace the high-limit thermostat since it looks like they come as a pair. I'll also replace the lint screen housing seal since that is falling apart. I suppose I should get a new lint screen too since I assume that is at least part of the reason why there was so much stuff at the bottom of the lint chute. Would it be a good idea to replace anything else while I have the machine apart? I could replace the rollers. You mentioned that the cycling thermostat (#8) might be welded shut. I assume the only way to test that would be to heat it enough so it should open? I'm not sure of a reliable way to do that? If it is welded shut will the thermal cut-off go again? (Trying to decide if it makes sense to replace it with everything else.)

Out of curiosity, does it often happen that there is that much junk at the bottom of the lint chute? The machine is over 10 years old so I suppose that could be part of it. It looked like some of the debris was so small that the lint screen wouldn't catch it. However, even though the lint screen has a hole in it, it is very near the top so I would have guessed that most of the bigger stuff should have been caught by it.
nomadx  
#9 Posted : Saturday, October 23, 2010 4:23:28 AM(UTC)
nomadx

In my previous post I was trying to determine if I need to do more testing - if there might be something else I need to replace. Although there was a lot of debris at the bottom of the lint chute it didn't seem to be blocking the air flow out the vent. Is it likely that I really only need the thermal cut-off? Or do I need to look further?

Thanks.
denman  
#10 Posted : Saturday, October 23, 2010 11:14:38 AM(UTC)
denman

check out my first post
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply