Discuss

Dryer no ign

in

Dryer Repair

. "

I have a Kenmore dryer, about 10 or so years old. Same as the usual. It will not ignite. When

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Dryer Repair » Dryer no ign

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2008, 05:51 PM

death91380 is on a distinguished road
Default Dryer no ign
Brand: Kenmore   Age: 5 - 10 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

I have a Kenmore dryer, about 10 or so years old. Same as the usual.

It will not ignite.

When the glow coil is not lit, but the drum is turning, there is 120v at the second coil and you can hear it click. When the glow coil starts to heat, voltage is removed from the second coil and the first coil gets 120v. When the glow coil is fully heated, the first coil looses voltage and voltage goes back to the second coil. I think this is normal and there is a split second that both coils are hot and it should light the burner and the flame sensor should be the holding circuit for the coils, right?

Here is where I think the problem is...

When the glow coil starts to heat and voltage is introduced to the first coil, it buzzes. I don't think it is opening the first valve. The coil ohmed out around 500 ohms, which seems about right for a coil. There is a slight buzzing sound when there is voltage there like the valve is trying to open, but cant. I went a step further and removed the pressure tap from the valve and there was no gas present when the first coil has voltage, there should be gas poring out at that point, correct?

I think that the first gas valve does not open until there is a certain amount of amp draw at the glow coil, so I'm fairly sure that the problem is the gas valve, but its a $130 part, so I want to make sure i'm correct.

Its been a few years since i've worked on one of these.

Thanks

(By the way, when I say first or second coil, i mean the order in which the gas goes thru them to get to the burner.)

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.