Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jacquiharmeling  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 10, 2008 12:42:00 PM(UTC)
jacquiharmeling

Groups: Registered

Last week the felt that wraps around the lower drum fell out of place and twirled itself around some of the clothes in my dryer. I went to an appliance store and bought a new one. A friend installed it for me. Then now, three days later, the new one has done the same thing. I am trying to avoid calling a repairman, but I can't find a source on the internet that tells me how to install the felt properly (just in case our friend didn't do it just right.) The appliance store is willing to replace the part I bought with a new one, because it is still "under warranty", as I just purchased it a few days ago. But I'm a little nervous about having the same friend install it without instructions. Do you have specific instructions for how to install it? Is it possible that another part has broken and would make it impossible to avoid the same problem happening again?

Thanks for your time in this matter,

Jacqui Harmeling
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

SublimeMasterJW  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 10, 2008 6:49:52 PM(UTC)
SublimeMasterJW

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Well you gotta remove the old felt first. Then glue down the new part with the glue that comes with the kit.module close.jpgYou would think that those plastic glides would need to be extended as far out of the pocket as can be so those glides can be happy but sadly you need to keep the short side towards the drum. Why? Because that way the drum does not eat up the new part. Yeah I screwed that up too. :D
SublimeMasterJW attached the following image(s):
a gibson door glide.jpg
jacquiharmeling  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 12, 2008 12:17:59 PM(UTC)
jacquiharmeling

Thanks for the advice about the drum felt. We did take the old felt out the first time we replaced it. But the felt part I picked up from the appliance store did not come with glue. Is there a special glue I ought to have used?
Do you know if it is dangerous to run the machine without the felt? Thanks!
Zanshin  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 12, 2008 1:58:59 PM(UTC)
Zanshin

Couldn't tell you the part number, most come with the correct glue, The stuff I use is a high temp quick cure 3M brand. Any good appliance store would be able to help you out and most likely have it in stock
jacquiharmeling  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2008 2:06:10 AM(UTC)
jacquiharmeling

What did you mean by "you need to keep the short side toward the drum"?
SublimeMasterJW  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2008 7:36:23 AM(UTC)
SublimeMasterJW

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
What I meant was when replacing those glides (if need be) it seems like a good idea to let the plastic glides be sticking out as far as possible to hold that drum, but that is not how you do it.They stick out too far and bind. You need to get 3m high heat resistant glue. The ideal glue comes in the package with those glides however. The glide kit is less than the glue and a tube of glue comes with it. Sooner or later you gonna need them glides.
Part Details - FRIGIDAIRE Felt glide assembly, part number: 5303937139
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply