Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bkrame  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 7, 2008 7:33:00 PM(UTC)
bkrame

Groups: Registered

Hi,

We have a GE Gas Dryer that is getting loud. The sound is a very loud humming vibration with some occasional buzzing. Dryer is on a flat surface, the vent is clear and it dry's the clothes fine.

I've looked at other posts but can't find anything for this particular model.

Any help would be appreciated...

Bill
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

kayakcrzy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2008 4:44:01 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Groups: Senior Expert

Humming and Buzzing, are not to normal on that product. Usually its squeeking, and scraping. Can you get a fix on the noise? In the rear is a bearing that occasionly goes out, and in the front on the front panel are glides, that wear out. There is a couple of things to look at. Tom ApplianceEducator.com
bkrame  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2008 7:00:39 AM(UTC)
bkrame

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply. It's difficult to fully describe the noise but it's for sure not squeaking or scraping. Sound seems to be coming from the rear and or right side. Hard to get a bead on the noise location since it's really loud. There is some vibration of the dryer. Maybe hum wasn't the best description it's louder than a hum but it's constant and the buzzing is not constant. Maybe more like RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...
kayakcrzy  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 10, 2008 7:34:09 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Sorry, it has taken me so long to get back, I had some computer problems. I am wondering if the motor is not making the noise. The only way to figure this out is to take the dryer apart, and pull the drum, out and then run it. Tom ApplianceEducator.com
bkrame  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 20, 2008 6:47:53 AM(UTC)
bkrame

Hi Tom,

No problem on the delay on response. Anyway, I took apart the dryer this weekend and ran it without the drum. It still seems a bit loud. But with all the panels off I would expect the motor to seem louder...not sure if the motor is an issue. When the motor shuts off there is some clicking from it as it spins down...normal...? The felts and glides for the drum look to be in good shape. There was some hard lint build up on the blower fins which I cleaned off(possible cause of motor unbalance?). I also noticed something I'm not sure is a problem or not. The short post that attaches to the center of the back of the drum with 3 torx screws which slips into the hole at the back of the unit has a plastic sleeve on it(sleeve is shaped like a top hat). The plastic sleeve seems to be very loose and sloppy on the post. I can almost slide it off the post without any effort. Is that normal? Sorry for the "lay man's" terms here...I'm somewhat mechanical but don't know the proper terms for these parts! :)

If I needed to replace the motor and that pin/sleeve, what are the part #'s and the cost?

Thanks for all your help.

Bill
Gene  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 20, 2008 1:05:26 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Bill,

Just to add my 2 cents... I would replace the bearing sleeve first and see how it'll work.

- The part number for the bearing sleeve is AP2621911 and you can buy it for $8.34

Gene.
kayakcrzy  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 21, 2008 3:28:46 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
Hi Bill,

Just to add my 2 cents... I would replace the bearing sleeve first and see how it'll work.

- The part number for the bearing sleeve is AP2621911 and you can buy it for $8.34

Gene.

Gene you took the words out of my mouth. I would totally agree. Tom ApplianceEducator.com
bkrame  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, October 21, 2008 6:40:20 AM(UTC)
bkrame

Gene and Tom,

Thanks for your input, I ordered the bearing sleeve today. I'll install it when it arrives and let you know how it goes. Again, thank you for your time and advice. It's nice to have a one stop website to go to...get advice and order parts!!!

Bill
bkrame  
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2008 6:24:34 AM(UTC)
bkrame

Wow, part arrived yesterday. With economy shipping that was really fast!

One last question, when I looked at the sleeve in the dryer, it ddin't seem to have any lubrication on it. Do I lubricate the new sleeve and if so, what type of lubricant do you suggest?

Thanks,

Bill
kayakcrzy  
#10 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2008 9:56:47 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

No lube neceesary. Tom ApplianceEducator.com
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply