Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AllenH  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 8, 2010 10:33:48 AM(UTC)
AllenH

Groups: Registered

Hi, This dryer has had a hard life, we just bought the house it is in, and a couple of days ago my wife told me it had just started making noise, so I had a look. There was 35' of plastic hose for a dryer vent, and it was plugged solid, and has been for a long time. I put a proper vent in the house, and was thankful that it has not burned down because of the lazy reno guy who did this.

It was shaking before I took the front off and cleaned it up, and cleaning it up did not improve anything. The vibration is at about motor speed, and it walks across the very slippery floor. It does work much better, it does dry clothes much better with the vent fixed.

I cannot see anything wrong with the fan, there are no missing blades or such the like, and nothing stuck in it.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Allen
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 8, 2010 12:26:26 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Allen,

Take the dryer apart and check the rear drum support rollers and the idler pulley.

- The rear rollers kit Part number: AP4242491
Part number: AP4242491

- The idler assembly Part number: AP4056657
Part number: AP4056657

Gene.
AllenH  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 8, 2010 12:53:45 PM(UTC)
AllenH

Groups: Registered

Gentlemen, I took it apart, and the center is breaking out of the fan hub, it is running considerably off center, and I am blaming the shake on that, the motor is making quite a bit of noise, even with the fan drum off and the drive belt disconnected, so I think this dryer is going to dryer heaven....

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
Allen,

Take the dryer apart and check the rear drum support rollers and the idler pulley.

- The rear rollers kit Part number: AP4242491
Part number: AP4242491

- The idler assembly Part number: AP4056657
Part number: AP4056657

Gene.
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 8, 2010 1:42:16 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AllenH Go to Quoted Post
Hi, This dryer has had a hard life, we just bought the house it is in, and a couple of days ago my wife told me it had just started making noise, so I had a look. There was 35' of plastic hose for a dryer vent, and it was plugged solid, and has been for a long time. I put a proper vent in the house, and was thankful that it has not burned down because of the lazy reno guy who did this.

It was shaking before I took the front off and cleaned it up, and cleaning it up did not improve anything. The vibration is at about motor speed, and it walks across the very slippery floor. It does work much better, it does dry clothes much better with the vent fixed.

I cannot see anything wrong with the fan, there are no missing blades or such the like, and nothing stuck in it.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Allen

Allen,

A couple of things to check,

Since you have it partially dismantled check and make sure the blower has no cracks, they can be hard to see.

Check the motor mount(rear metal) and the front blower assembly for proper mounting, tight screws to the base.

Another thing to look for is a "dragging" tumbler. If the slides located on the top of the blower and the support leg are dry or damaged, they could cause the tumbler to vibrate(drag).
a dab of vaseline on the tumbler or the slides themselves is a good test.

I have run into very slippery floors, you may want to install non-skid pads under the front feet(prefer all 4) and make sure the feet have foot pads.

I think you'll find your problem in one or more of these areas, and should be OK after you investigate,

Good Luck,
:) :) :)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply