Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hbob635  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2008 2:55:03 PM(UTC)
hbob635

Groups: Registered

roper dyer runs. but heating element doesn't heat up.. thermostat at element has 119.2 volts.. element reading 9k ohms.thermostat heater 7k ohms:eek:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

libertyappl  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2008 3:00:20 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

Groups: Senior Expert

Did you check them for continuity, with the wires removed from each thermostat & element?
Nat
Gabe72  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 29, 2008 10:24:53 AM(UTC)
Gabe72

i know this is an old post but i have the same problem, my roper dryer just stopped heating. I dont have a meter yet, but there is power at the heater terminals. Would a bad thermosata cause the heating elements not to get hot but have power?
SublimeMasterJW  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 29, 2008 11:33:50 AM(UTC)
SublimeMasterJW

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
All are in a line with each other. so if one of them is OPEN then the heater will not come on. It is designed to shut down in case there is too much lint in the dryer. These safetys keep the dryer from catching fire. You must first fix the problem with the lint and the vent and then replace which ever one is bad. Now their are 2 possibilitys: This guy will die and the dryer will not even run:flame sensor.jpg
SublimeMasterJW attached the following image(s):
fuse 2.jpg
SublimeMasterJW  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 29, 2008 11:38:46 AM(UTC)
SublimeMasterJW

This dude here is a limit kit:a igniter.jpgPictured on left is the 300 degree limit.This limit mounts on the top of the heater element chamber. Most of the time that is the puppy that dies. The larger one shown on the right mounts on the base of the heater element chamber and is rated for 250 degrees. Both of these come in the kit because both have failed.The element itself could be out as well. If all the safetys check out and the element then most likely it is the timer. The timer on these machines will burn a contact on the inside of the connection marked RH. If you suspect this is it you can test it by removing the heavy red wire from the timer at the point marked RH and check that with a meter against every other connector on the timer. At some point you should get a reading. If not then that puppy is fried.
SublimeMasterJW attached the following image(s):
a kenmore dryer limit kit.jpg
Gabe72  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 29, 2008 11:39:37 AM(UTC)
Gabe72

ok, i understand, but will there be juice at the heater coil terminals? i checked it with my power tester and there is power at both terminals.
SublimeMasterJW  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 29, 2008 11:48:00 AM(UTC)
SublimeMasterJW

You have a limit problem. Check that limit at the top of the heater element chamber.
Gabe72  
#8 Posted : Monday, September 29, 2008 11:50:55 AM(UTC)
Gabe72

there is juice at the terminals, i just dont know how much, im using one of those testers that just lights up if there is a current.
SublimeMasterJW  
#9 Posted : Monday, September 29, 2008 12:03:05 PM(UTC)
SublimeMasterJW

If the dryer is turning with no heat and the tester lights up then unplug the dryer and remove the heater. Inspect it for the break or take it to the parts store and let em check it for you to be sure. they would rather check it than sell you the part. They do not refund electrical stuff. Peeps do not like to buy second hand stuff.
sho4go  
#10 Posted : Monday, September 29, 2008 3:07:45 PM(UTC)
sho4go

This is on a White-Westinghouse; If the limiter fails, will it prevent the timer motor from running? This in a B&B environment & my housekeeper told me that the control knob on the timer was not advancing, however, if I connect the timer motor direct to power, it does run. Would the limiter be wired in such a fashion as to interrupt power to the timer motor? The igniter lights the flame on start-up but after temp is achieved it never comes back on.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply