Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Manu58  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 26, 2010 5:41:39 PM(UTC)
Manu58

Groups: Registered

I am attempting to repair an electric dryer for someone who cannot afford a technician and I need assistance.
The dryer does not produce heat.
The timer works (spins) and the dryer is getting 240VAC.
I have checked the continuity on the heating element, the two thermostats (top and bottom), replaced the thermal fuse, all with negative results.
When the dryer is on, there is no voltage across the thermostats and the heating element (using a volt meter and measuring across the red and red-white wire). It appears that the timer could be bad as I am not getting voltage between the red wire and the black wire at timer switch 2. Could the timer switch be bad? I check for a "closed" between WR and R on the timer switch. Per the schematics, it should be closed and all settings are open according to my meter.
Another question, when I measure the voltage across the heating element, the thermostats (R and RW), I assume that I should be reading 220VAC?
Your assistance is greatly appreciated.:)
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 27, 2010 1:21:24 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I cannot find a wiring diagram for this unit but since you listed test points I am assuming that you have it.
The below is a bit of guessing.
Be sure when using ohms to unplug at least one side of any device you are measuring. This prevents reading an alternate/parallel circuit path

[COLOR="Blue"]It appears that the timer could be bad as I am not getting voltage between the red wire and the black wire at timer switch 2. Could the timer switch be bad?[/COLOR]
I doubt it. You would see the 240 across it if it was not closing.
You could check this using ohms. Unplug the unit and set it to timed dry mid scale and measure it, should be 0 ohms.
[COLOR="Blue"]
I check for a "closed" between WR and R on the timer switch. Per the schematics, it should be closed and all settings are open according to my meter.[/COLOR]
Not sure what points you are checking.

[COLOR="Blue"]Another question, when I measure the voltage across the heating element, the thermostats (R and RW), I assume that I should be reading 220VAC?[/COLOR]
Not sure about the (R and Rw) test points but yes there should be voltage across the heater/thermostats combo. It should be the full line voltage (240).

With the unit unplugged, set to mid scale timed dry, you could attach/tape one meter lead to the Black (L1) on the timer and then work youur way back through the heating circuit to find the open.

One side of the heater goes to the centrifugal switch on the motor. If you measure 240 volts from that side to L2 (usually Red) then odds are that the centrifugal switch is not closing for some reason re: the voltage is across the switch instead of across the water/thermostats.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply