Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
zoo  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 16, 2010 11:16:46 AM(UTC)
zoo

Groups: Registered

Hello, first let me say very nice site. Tons and tons of great info.

Secondly, let me apoligise if this question is repetitive. As a Mod at another chat forum, i know how this can be at times frustrating. I have read many of the posts but still would like to get an expert opinion on my problem if possible.

Like alot of people, my dryer doesnt heat anymore. Its 5 years and 3 months old. I dont have an OHMmeter but am hoping if i explain what had happened, maybe i wont need one.

The other day i had clothes in the dryer and it dawned on me that it had been running longer than usual. I would have expected the timer dial to be at the end of the cycle but it wasnt far from where i had originally set it to. And now the dryer runs fine but it doesnt give any heat.

At first glance, does this sound like a timer and/or thermal fuse problem?

Im thinking im going to test the dryer's timer by running it for a bit and seeing if the dial moves but i know for sure there is no heat being generated.

Thanks for any and all the help u can offer me.

Cheers
Zoo
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

zoo  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 16, 2010 12:54:23 PM(UTC)
zoo

Well the timer dial seems to be working fine. It does turn.

The fan is working, i can feel the air blowing in the drum.

I guess im going to have to get a meter. Im guessing it needs a the thermal fuse. It cant be the heating element, its not very old.
Joe / APP Team  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 16, 2010 1:15:59 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: zoo Go to Quoted Post
Hello, first let me say very nice site. Tons and tons of great info.

Secondly, let me apoligise if this question is repetitive. As a Mod at another chat forum, i know how this can be at times frustrating. I have read many of the posts but still would like to get an expert opinion on my problem if possible.

Like alot of people, my dryer doesnt heat anymore. Its 5 years and 3 months old. I dont have an OHMmeter but am hoping if i explain what had happened, maybe i wont need one.

The other day i had clothes in the dryer and it dawned on me that it had been running longer than usual. I would have expected the timer dial to be at the end of the cycle but it wasnt far from where i had originally set it to. And now the dryer runs fine but it doesnt give any heat.

At first glance, does this sound like a timer and/or thermal fuse problem?

Im thinking im going to test the dryer's timer by running it for a bit and seeing if the dial moves but i know for sure there is no heat being generated.

Thanks for any and all the help u can offer me.

Cheers
Zoo

Zoo,

If I were going to guess,

I would hope and think your most likely problem would be a open(broken) heater element or burnt wire.

(This auto advance dryer is designed to advance the timer(on auto dry)based on the proper heat and temperature in the drum).

You can access those components on the rear of the machine, lower right area behind the removable panel.

All those parts are attached to each other and removable as a single unit, once you've removed the wires.

That's really all you can visually check for as far as a no heat condition applies, everything else you need to check, will require a multi meter.

Just a basic,in expensive, meter at any electronics or hardware store will be sufficient to do the checks on the other components.

Of course you need to check and make sure you have 240 volts to the unit and that the vent pipe is clear all the way to the vent hood outside the house.

Make sure you turn the power off, or unplug the power cord before removing anything.

It's not as much help as I had hoped to give you, but theres not a whole lot to visually check when it comes to an electric dryer heater circuit.

:) :) :)
zoo  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 16, 2010 1:45:32 PM(UTC)
zoo

Thanks very much for the response. Ill be headin into the city tomorrow and will pick up a meter.

Ive been reading lots about dryer repairs today. Learnin all sorts of stuff!! :)

Zoo
Joe / APP Team  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 16, 2010 1:56:23 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Well the timer dial seems to be working fine. It does turn.

The fan is working, i can feel the air blowing in the drum.

I guess im going to have to get a meter. Im guessing it needs a the thermal fuse. It cant be the heating element, its not very old.

I hope not , but yes it could be the heating element.

Along with several other comonents.

I'm hoping you will find a damaged, burnt wire or something simple like that, but I'm not counting on it.

Once you've got a meter, let us know and we can give you the circuits and components to check, and be happy to direct you.

zoo  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 16, 2010 2:36:28 PM(UTC)
zoo

well i have it apart and have done some comparison of the what the element looks like here on the site and im thinkin i need a new heating element. The coils and the even the metal between the coils is extremely black. From the look of a new element they should be silver.

All the electrical wires look fine. Almost brand new really. Everything looks quite new and clean except the coils and the peice of metal the coils surround.

If i am going to replace the heating element, would i replace the thermosat at the same time?? I see they are sold seperately but they dont apear as they will seperate easily.

And im bound and determined to fix this myself and not call anyone in to do it... LOL :D

Thanks again for all ur help

Zoo
Joe / APP Team  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 17, 2010 7:43:16 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

well i have it apart and have done some comparison of the what the element looks like here on the site and im thinkin i need a new heating element. The coils and the even the metal between the coils is extremely black. From the look of a new element they should be silver.

All the electrical wires look fine. Almost brand new really. Everything looks quite new and clean except the coils and the peice of metal the coils surround.

If i am going to replace the heating element, would i replace the thermosat at the same time?? I see they are sold seperately but they dont apear as they will seperate easily.

And im bound and determined to fix this myself and not call anyone in to do it... LOL :D

Thanks again for all ur help

Zoo

Zoo,

Sounds like a shorted element to me...

I doubt you will need a thermostat, the time you would need one is if you had a high temperature problem or a short in or at the harness.

That did not occur.

Order and replace the element assembly, and you should be fine from there.

:cool: :cool: :cool:
zoo  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 17, 2010 6:14:54 PM(UTC)
zoo

Yeah thanks for all the help.

I picked up an element today and it was only $20 more for the thermal cut off kit, so i thought i better get that as well since i was there.

Just replaced them all and its now workin. Your probaby right, i dont think i needed to replace the thermostat by i did anyways. Ill keep my eye on it at first to see if it gets to hot.

Zoo
Joe / APP Team  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2010 5:11:40 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Yeah thanks for all the help.

I picked up an element today and it was only $20 more for the thermal cut off kit, so i thought i better get that as well since i was there.

Just replaced them all and its now workin. Your probaby right, i dont think i needed to replace the thermostat by i did anyways. Ill keep my eye on it at first to see if it gets to hot.

Zoo

Zoo,

Great, glad to hear you're up and running,

As long as the vent system is clean, I doubt you need to worry about the heat, just make sure you clean the lint filter EVERY load.

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply