Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ron_H  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 30, 2008 2:32:19 PM(UTC)
Ron_H

Groups: Registered

Hi!

I just replaced the 2-part front seal of my dryer. (Part #'s below.) I think I did a fine job. :cool:

Two questions:

1) ONE part of the seal came with a tube of glue. (Part and glue in a sealed bag.) I used all the glue to install BOTH parts ('seal' and 'guide assembly'). Was the glue intended for both parts as I assumed? (I wonder what happens if someone orders only the part of the seal that doesn't come with glue. They won't have anything to attach it.)

2) How long do I need to wait for the glue to set/dry/harden before I can put it back together? And how long before I can use the dryer?

Thanks !!!
Ron

AP2143044 (5303283286) Seal/basket lower
AP2150497 (5303937139) Felt glide assembly
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

wiltyree  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 30, 2008 6:05:24 PM(UTC)
wiltyree

The glue that is supplied in most kits is a contact glue that set pretty quick. If you not in a hurry leave it set overnight and you should be good to go.
Ron_H  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 30, 2008 6:30:19 PM(UTC)
Ron_H

Thanks. That's what I'll do.
abadfish66  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 30, 2008 11:44:44 PM(UTC)
abadfish66

Groups: Senior Expert

By the way, they don't supply the glue for the lower felt because it is not used there. Only the top felt and guide assy get's the glue, but you should be ok anyway.
Ron_H  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 31, 2008 8:51:29 AM(UTC)
Ron_H

Hi abadfish66,

Thanks, but I think you are wrong in this case.

The lower felt was originally glued on my dryer. I used a sharp wood chisel all the way around to remove all the old felt and all the old glue (almost). (I'm the first owner and I think I'd remember if I ever did this job before.) The original gluing was the same between top and bottom. The instructions have an illustration showing glue all the way around.

You would have to use something to hold the felt in place while you re-assembled. And, the lower felt would just fall off if not glued. There is nothing to stop it - not on my machine, anyway.

I have another 2 questions.

1) The paint is worn off my basket lip (where it bears on the felt) and the instructions say it 'must be smooth with the point intact'. I don't see why I need pain. The metal surface is smooth. Anyone know why the instructions say you need paint?

2) My upper guides/felt assy was centered at the top, but I noticed the wear was more off to one side (maybe the side with belt tension or clothing weight). Two of the plastic guides were worn completely off. The lower seal was crushed more on that side. Ever seen this? Maybe it would be better to install the plastic guides off to this side. Ever do this? Too late for me. But I'm curious.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply