Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
spearmint  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 14, 2010 5:33:01 AM(UTC)
spearmint

Groups: Registered

I have a Maytag stackable washer-dryer (LSE7800) and have had a couple of problems over the past week.

A week ago it was running very noisy--like it had a pair of tennis shoes tumbling inside the drum, even though it was empty. I replaced the blower fan and, while I was at it, the belt and drum rollers (all from AppliancePartsPros--good price and very helpful). All appeared to be running fine. I re-assembled the machine, successfully ran a few loads on Thursday night.

Friday morning, we tried to dry another load and encountered a new problem: When I hit the dryer's "start" button, the dryer hummed, but the motor wouldn't turnover and start, and produced a faint hot electric smell. Reading the forums, it looks like the motor may have died.

Seems coincidental that the motor would have failed right after replacing the blower fan and the other parts. Could a misaligned belt or some other problem related to replacing the other parts be causing this to happen? It was very dusty/linty inside the machine and I vacuumed it out pretty well. Could some have settled on the motor and caused it to burn out?

Any suggestions about what I should try next? I'm out of town for a few days so I'm thinking of ordering a motor to have on hand when I attempt to repair after I get home. Any other parts I should consider?

Thanks,

DC-Nate
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

spearmint  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 7:24:14 PM(UTC)
spearmint

Tonight I opened up the dryer again and cleaned it out. Used a shop vac to blow out and then vacuum up all the lint. Re-assembled the dryer and it started right up. Tried to dry a load. After about an hour, the dryer started to smell hot (not burning hot, like when it hummed and wouldn't start, but just hot), and the exterior of the dryer felt hot. Took a couple large towels out to lighten the dryer load, and it wouldn't start. Unlike last week when it hummed and then wouldn't start, now it won't start at all--it's just dead. I can hear the dryer timer clicking--sounds like it's still working. But no drum, no motor, nothing when I press start.

I have a motor I ordered on hand, so my next step is to try to replace it. Any other ideas about what this could be?

Thanks,

Spearmint
spearmint  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 22, 2010 6:16:27 AM(UTC)
spearmint

Replaced the motor in my dryer last night. Now it seems to be running fine.

The shaft of the old motor barely turns. This is why the dryer wouldn't start. I think it's very coincidental that this would have happened to the old motor right after I installed the new blower wheel. The shaft turned fine when I replaced the blower wheel, and within a few loads it would barely move.

Still, the dryer seems to be running fine now. We'll see if it holds up.

Spearmint
taminhthao  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 18, 2011 3:59:54 PM(UTC)
taminhthao

I am having the same problem as your Spearmint, I open up the dryer removed everything drum, blelt, vacuum lint, try the motor still running. put them all back, it worked for 3 loads, last night I dried another load, it hum and not spin and smell. Any suggestion? should I replace the motor?
spearmint  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 18, 2011 7:08:31 PM(UTC)
spearmint

Taminhthao:

It might be the same problem--I couldn't say for sure, but I know that replacing the motor solved the problem for me (going on 6+ months now since the repair). It may be a solution for you too if your machine's symptoms are are similar.

Here's some advice:
* If you can't turn the blower fan by hand (or it's very difficult to turn), then the motor probably needs replacing. It should spin relatively freely.

* You should reference the "Maytag Gas and Electric S1000 Models Service Manual" for replacing the motor--this was my bible for this job. Search for it online--you should be able to find a free download somewhere.

* The clips that hold on the motor are a pain-and-a-half to get off and back on. In the end, I had to pull my dryer out of its closet and take the back panel off to get the right angle to get the clips on correctly. If you have easy access to the back of your unit, I suggest doing the same.

Otherwise, good luck. I'll keep monitoring this board if you have questions--but I'll admit I'm no expert.

Spearmint
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply