Discuss

Dryer shuts off after getting too hot

in

Dryer Repair

. "

Originally Posted by jonnyshaw I am at my wits end with this dryer and don't know where else to turn.

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Dryer Repair » Dryer shuts off after getting too hot

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 07:53 AM
Senior Expert

Joe / APP Team is on a distinguished road

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyshaw View Post
I am at my wits end with this dryer and don't know where else to turn.

Same issue with it running 20 min and then over heating. Lint trap is clear dryer vent not blocked dryer pulled out so it has a strait shot. Replaced thermostats and thermo-fuses. Been through 2 "new" motors. Resistance of heating coil is around 10 ohms. dryer is a Samsung DV316LES/XAA please help before it ends up on the curb.
Johnny,

The only thing you haven't coverred is the belt switch and wiring.

Have you run the diagnostic codes in the control board ?

You may want to run the dryer, with the exhaust vent disconnected from the back of the dryer as well, it should help us to determine a possible overheat situation, causing the thermal cut out on the heater to open .

Let us know what you find, and we can go from there.

Joe M. APP TEAM

Find Appliance Parts at AppliancePartsPros.com - Largest inventory in the U.S. with 91% of all in-stock orders delivered within 2 business days. Thousands of photos and diagrams make it very easy to find the right part. Enter your appliance model here.
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 06-10-2011, 09:14 PM

jonnyshaw is on a distinguished road

So I was finally able to figure it out and it ended up being one of those things were you're like "HELLO!!! WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!" The problem ended up being a Thermistor, one of the first things you check right? When I originally checked it there was continuity and it ohmed out so I just moved on. Turns out it was actually about 3K Ohms off and that made the PCB guess what the temperature was and with each cycle of the heating element the PCB kept guessing that it was cooler and cooler till eventually it just overheated.

At least it's finally fixed though live and learn I guess, just kicking myself for buying a motor when I didn't need to.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:41 AM
Senior Expert

Joe / APP Team is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyshaw View Post
So I was finally able to figure it out and it ended up being one of those things were you're like "HELLO!!! WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!" The problem ended up being a Thermistor, one of the first things you check right? When I originally checked it there was continuity and it ohmed out so I just moved on. Turns out it was actually about 3K Ohms off and that made the PCB guess what the temperature was and with each cycle of the heating element the PCB kept guessing that it was cooler and cooler till eventually it just overheated.

At least it's finally fixed though live and learn I guess, just kicking myself for buying a motor when I didn't need to.
Johnny,

Great job.

We're glad you're up and running.

Good Luck,

Joe M. APP TEAM

Find Appliance Parts at AppliancePartsPros.com - Largest inventory in the U.S. with 91% of all in-stock orders delivered within 2 business days. Thousands of photos and diagrams make it very easy to find the right part. Enter your appliance model here.
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.