Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gregE  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 4:33:24 PM(UTC)
gregE

Groups: Registered

My Frigidaire/Electrolux model glgt1031fs0 dryer is having what seems to be a common problem around here, it spins without producing heat. It worked perfectly for 3+ years but quit working sometime around 2 days ago.

The manual, such as it is, suggests among gas and air supply issues that I have ruled out, that "There are 2 house fuses in the dryer circuit. If 1 of the 2 fuses is blown, the drum may turn but he heater will not operate. / Solution: Replace fuse."

Opening up the back access panels or the front access panel, I don't see anything that is readily identifiable to me as looking like what I know of as a fuse.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 28, 2010 3:12:19 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gregE Go to Quoted Post
My Frigidaire/Electrolux model glgt1031fs0 dryer is having what seems to be a common problem around here, it spins without producing heat. It worked perfectly for 3+ years but quit working sometime around 2 days ago.

The manual, such as it is, suggests among gas and air supply issues that I have ruled out, that "There are 2 house fuses in the dryer circuit. If 1 of the 2 fuses is blown, the drum may turn but he heater will not operate. / Solution: Replace fuse."

Opening up the back access panels or the front access panel, I don't see anything that is readily identifiable to me as looking like what I know of as a fuse.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

The key to this is where it says "2 house fuses". These would be in your house not in the dryer. Or you could have circuit breakers powering the dryer.

I would bet more on the gas valve coils being bad. Does the ignitor glow when its trying to lite? If so then one of the two coils is bad. Part no. 5303931775. Always replace as a set. If the ignitor never glows then it could be a bad ignitor or a bad thermal fuse.
gregE  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 28, 2010 2:42:44 PM(UTC)
gregE

Why would they write a manual so stupidly? (that's a rhetorical question...)

Yes, we have circuit breakers, and no none of them are tripped.

I'm going to have to explore the parts diagrams and figure out what those parts you refer to are and if I can tell what is going on. I'll post follow-up later.

Thanks.
gregE  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 28, 2010 2:50:06 PM(UTC)
gregE

As far as I can tell, the ignitor is not glowing at all. How can I determine whether it is the ignitor or the thermal fuse? (I found the ignitor part number, but I can't find the thermal fuse on the parts diagram. Can you give me a part number on that too?)
ThatGuy  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 29, 2010 12:14:28 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gregE Go to Quoted Post
As far as I can tell, the ignitor is not glowing at all. How can I determine whether it is the ignitor or the thermal fuse? (I found the ignitor part number, but I can't find the thermal fuse on the parts diagram. Can you give me a part number on that too?)

My mistake, they are not calling it a "thermal fuse", instead they have it labeled "Safety Thermostat" and its part no. 5304406099 or part "33" on the parts diagram of the upper cabinet and drum heater. If you look at the dryer from the front, its as far back as you can go and on the upper left side if the Heater duct housing. It has two wires going to it usually. If you test it for continuity and its open, then its bad.

You can also check for voltage at the ignitor. If its getting 120 volts but not glowing, then its bad. Just be very careful with the ignitor, its very breakable and don't get skin oil on it.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply