Discuss

Noisy Maytag Dryer

in

Dryer Repair

. "

I have model # MDE508DAYW Maytag dryer just over 1 year old. Sunday my wife put to large rugs in

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Dryer Repair » Noisy Maytag Dryer

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2008, 10:01 AM

jkolk is on a distinguished road
Default Noisy Maytag Dryer
Brand: Maytag   Age: 1 - 5 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

I have model # MDE508DAYW Maytag dryer just over 1 year old. Sunday my wife put to large rugs in to dry and now it is making a lot of noise even with nothing in the dryer. I assume we have killed the felt seals/bearings. Do you have a link to a manual, or any tips on changing these seals? Also, could we have hurt anything else on the dryer. When I freespin the drum you can feel and hear the drum dragging.....Thanks in advance.

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 08-10-2008, 08:25 AM

Default Found the problem but have a question

Ok, I broke the thing down and found one of the glide brackets had brocken....ordered a replacement but in the process I found a small pad/bumper that had fallen into the bottom of the unit while I was braking it down. It is about 1" by 1/2". I do not know where this thing goes. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:24 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Gene has a brilliant futureGene has a brilliant future

You probably are talking about a felt pad which goes under the glide.

- The part number for the felt pad is AP4054017

Gene.

Order Appliance Parts with 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy - AppliancePartsPros.com
Old 08-11-2008, 06:10 AM

Thanks for the reply.....are you talking about under the felt glide on the front of the drum? Or possibly you could be more specific. Thanks in advance
Old 08-11-2008, 11:26 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Yes, this is the felt which goes under the glide.

Gene.

Order Appliance Parts with 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy - AppliancePartsPros.com
Old 01-24-2009, 01:00 PM

jonobp is on a distinguished road

Hi. Sorry to dig up an old topic but I am having a similar problem and could use a bit of help.

I have the MDE508DAYW as well and there is a grinding noise when running a load. I have spun the tub myself and putting pressure on it at the bottom of the rotation causes the noise and I can feel it grinding.

I took it apart and from what I can tell the rollers look good, the belt seems fine and the guide pads are still where they should be. I did notice that both pads do not have the felt under the pad material between the metal and the material. I don't think this would cause the clearance issue, unless they are pretty thick.

The tub itself seems to be rubbing on the blower housing. It has work a bit of the plastic and even the metal covering on the front of the blower.

So the problem seems to be that the tub is pressing against this housing when there is a load in it or any pressure for that matter. Nothing seemed loose or off center. I've had the unit for about a year and a half and this just started happening. I believe that my sister in-law did a load when she stopped by from college the other week and it was more than likely a large load. Would it be possible that this bent the tub? I was pondering replacing the rollers, belt and guide pads for the heck of it, perhaps this will give it more clearance, perhaps not.

Any suggestions to fix this? I stopped working to go to school full time so don't really have a couple hundred bucks to have someone come take a look...especially now that I know what it making the noise, just not the fix.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:11 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

I would recommend to replace both glides together with the felt pads.

- The part number for the glide (you have to order two) is AP4046795

The felt pad has been discontinued by the manufacturer but Appliance Parts Pros has a few in stock. You have to call the customer service at 877-477-7278 to order them.

- The part number for the felt pad (you have to order two) is AP4054017

Here are the break down diagrams for the Maytag dryer Model MDE508DAYW

Gene.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:46 PM

tech12 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonobp View Post
Hi. Sorry to dig up an old topic but I am having a similar problem and could use a bit of help.

I have the MDE508DAYW as well and there is a grinding noise when running a load. I have spun the tub myself and putting pressure on it at the bottom of the rotation causes the noise and I can feel it grinding.

I took it apart and from what I can tell the rollers look good, the belt seems fine and the guide pads are still where they should be. I did notice that both pads do not have the felt under the pad material between the metal and the material. I don't think this would cause the clearance issue, unless they are pretty thick.

The tub itself seems to be rubbing on the blower housing. It has work a bit of the plastic and even the metal covering on the front of the blower.

So the problem seems to be that the tub is pressing against this housing when there is a load in it or any pressure for that matter. Nothing seemed loose or off center. I've had the unit for about a year and a half and this just started happening. I believe that my sister in-law did a load when she stopped by from college the other week and it was more than likely a large load. Would it be possible that this bent the tub? I was pondering replacing the rollers, belt and guide pads for the heck of it, perhaps this will give it more clearance, perhaps not.

Any suggestions to fix this? I stopped working to go to school full time so don't really have a couple hundred bucks to have someone come take a look...especially now that I know what it making the noise, just not the fix.

Thanks for the help.

Are you sure the tub is rubbing ? There could be something stuck in the blower housing wearing through from the inside.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:39 AM

jonobp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech12 View Post
Are you sure the tub is rubbing ? There could be something stuck in the blower housing wearing through from the inside.

Yeah, when i had it apart I cleaned out everything including the blower. I also hand spun the tub and the wear is slight but very clear on the outside housing of the blower. The tub is rubbing mostly at the weld point/seam.

I am thinking the the glides and felt may give it the slight clearance it needs. Or, that the sister in-laws huge load bent the tub slightly. Obviously I'll try the glides and see how that goes.

Thanks guys.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:11 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Keep us posted.

Gene.

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.