Discuss

Tips to getting blower wheel off

in

Dryer Repair

. "

Just bought a new motor from APP last week. Tried to install it tonight but I can not figure out

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Dryer Repair » Tips to getting blower wheel off

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2007, 07:33 PM

Turbotom is on a distinguished road
Cool Tips to getting blower wheel off
Brand: Whirlpool   Age: 1 - 5 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

Just bought a new motor from APP last week. Tried to install it tonight but I can not figure out the trick to getting the blower fan off of the motor.. Right now I have channel locks on the motor shaft preventing the motor from turing and the tag on the fan cover said to turn the fan clockwise. I guess my fingers are just to weak to turn the fan hard enough. I just can't get a grip on it. I tried holding the fan and turing the motor also, but still can get a good enough grip. Is there any tricks or tips anyone could help me out with? I'm almost to the point where I am going to break the fan off and just buy another one.....

This is my girlfriends dryer and I forgot to grab the model #

Thanks ahead of time for any help

Tom

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 09-13-2007, 02:25 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

richappy is a name known to all

Put vice grips, or an adjustable wrench on the blower wheel and an adjustable wrench on the motor shaft ( a pipe wrench works also) Turn motor shaft clockwise(left hand thread) A little impact helps.
If the blower faces forward, put a 1/2 drive socket wrench in the blower and a wrench on the motor and turn blower clockwise.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:31 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

ApplianceJunk is on a distinguished road

and sometime they just don't come off.
If your replacing the motor along with the fan blade then you can use a hammer to remove it.

One big blow with a hammer at the center of the blower wheel and you can bust up the old wheel enough to pull the motor out.

Of coarse you will need a new blower wheel after doing this.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richappy View Post
Put vice grips, or an adjustable wrench on the blower wheel and an adjustable wrench on the motor shaft ( a pipe wrench works also) Turn motor shaft clockwise(left hand thread) A little impact helps.
If the blower faces forward, put a 1/2 drive socket wrench in the blower and a wrench on the motor and turn blower clockwise.

Thanks for the responce. I was turning the motor shaft the wrong way when I tried to hold the wheel.

So pretty much use the vice grips or the adjustable wrench to hold the blower wheel , and then turn on the motor shaft clockwise.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:19 AM

The BFH ... nice. I was thinking about doing it but decided to hold off trying to get everything fixed last night.

I'll let you know how it goes
Old 09-14-2007, 02:57 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Ninety nine percent of the time, vice grips on the blower will result in successful blower wheel removal.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:41 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

ApplianceJunk is on a distinguished road

richappy must be stronger then me. I only have a 95% successful blower wheel removal rate with the vice grips.

It's alway's the other 5% that is all the fun anyway, lol..

Turbotom,

You get the job done?
Old 09-14-2007, 02:43 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Right on Appliancejunk. There is a certain animal pleasure out of pounding the hell out of the blower wheel, personally I like a sharp hatchet!
I had a lady smile at me while I was pounding a bad pump away from a washer motor, she said now that's a job for a man!!
Old 09-14-2007, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richappy View Post
Right on Appliancejunk. There is a certain animal pleasure out of pounding the hell out of the blower wheel, personally I like a sharp hatchet!
I had a lady smile at me while I was pounding a bad pump away from a washer motor, she said now that's a job for a man!!
Apparently I like pounding the hell out of things too. I got it off tonight, but not the way I wanted to. I held the wheel with an adjustable wrench while my girlfriend turn the motor shaft with another wrench. A fin on the wheel cracked. I decided heck for $20 I can get a new one shipped here and proceeded to beat it with the hammer. It was worth it even if I could have still used that wheel.

One thing I did learn. Wear gloves while working on dryers! Those clips that hold the motor down can be a pain to get off. When wrenchs slip, hands fly. Metal edges wrecked havoc on my knuckles.

Tom
Old 09-16-2007, 02:50 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

I use a long bladed screw driver for the clips, saves on the knuckles.