Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hcjr  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2007 6:50:04 AM(UTC)
hcjr

Groups: Registered

Over the past several weeks it has taken progressively longer to dry a load of clothes and now the clothes don't dry at all. I've made sure the vent line is clear and that there is good air flow. When we first turn it on the ignitor glows and soon there is a strong, bright flame. After about a minute the flame goes out never to come back on. Although the ignitor will glow periodically the flame never comes back on. I've read several postings and am going back and forth thinking it is the gas coils or the thermal fuse. Is there a way to tell if it is the coils? Any tips on replacing them? Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Admin / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2007 12:56:59 PM(UTC)
Admin / APP Team

Groups:

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Diagrams for Model LG7801XSW0.

Sounds like the coils to me. Can't be the fuse, because if the fuse was bad, the igniter wouldn't work the first time either.

Word of caution: dryer panels have extremely sharp edges, so be careful.

Replacing the coils is simple. Unplug the dryer and remove the bottom front panel (it's held with clips, use force to pull the panel off). Now, right below the drum, you'll see the gas valve with two coils on top. MAKE SURE THE DRYER POWER CORD IS UNPLUGGED! Both valve coils are secured with one metal bracket. Remove the bracket, replace the coils, when setting the bracket back on make sure that the holes line up with the little points on each coil. Each coil has terminals on it - one has two terminals, while the other has three, so it's pretty difficult to make a mistake there. All in all, it's a pretty simple job.

While you're in there, clean out any lint you see at the bottom.

- Replacement coils for your gas dryer

Post back and let us know how it goes.
hcjr  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2007 2:11:03 PM(UTC)
hcjr

Groups: Registered

Thanks very much. I replaced the coils and that seemed to take care of the problem although my wife doesn't think the dryer is heating up as hot as it did before. But at least the flame goes on and off and on again where before it would go on initially and in 3 or 4 minutes go off and never come on again unless we shut the dryer off and let it cool down. Thanks again for answering.
Admin / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2007 2:17:58 PM(UTC)
Admin / APP Team

Groups:

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Sounds good.

Quote:
although my wife doesn't think the dryer is heating up as hot as it did before
That's almost always due to a vent problem - check the entire vent system, from inside the dryer to where it comes out of the house.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply