Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
robear  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 30, 2010 12:09:07 AM(UTC)
robear

Groups: Registered

We have constantly been dealing with this dishwasher since we bought the house. The dishes are always gritty, and don't seem to be rinsed well. I have never seen the middle or upper spray arms spinning. The water rises in the rear tube but only about half way. I've cleaned the screens and filters. Checked the ball check valve. removed the electric motor and attached power to it and it runs. The impeller is tight on the shaft and not stuck. The tubes are clear.
I haven't figured out what makes the ball shift to direct the water to the upper arms, possibly thats the problem. Any suggestions or troubleshooting procedures would be appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

TCM14  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 2, 2010 11:45:53 AM(UTC)
TCM14

What makes the pump shift from lower to upper arm is the motor shuts off for a split second. This causes the check ball to move off its seat, when the pump motor restarts, the water is directed to the upper spray arm. To test this, start the dishwasher, let it go thru the fill cycle & start washing.
Very quickly open then close the door latch. Once the motor starts you'll hear a slighlty louder splashing sound.
As far as grit problems, chk water temperature it needs to be at least 130 degress at the tap to help detergent dissolve. Powdered detergents should be used, avoid tablets & gel packs, they are slow to dissolve & can carry over to the rinse cycle.
Water quality is very problematic in dishwashers, you might want to drain & refill your water heater since sediment builds up in the tank & can be drawn thru the hot water pipes.
Hard water is also an issue, if your house is not equipped with a water softener & you dont want to go to the expense of installing one, use a detergent booster, Glass Magic works excellent.

Hope this solves the problem

Regards,

Tim
robear  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 3, 2010 9:25:54 PM(UTC)
robear

Thanks for responding Tim, I did as you said and quickly unlatched and latched the door. I see the water going up to top pipe and supplying water to the upper nozzle. I tried this a few times plus tried to see if the arm was spraying but it isn't. I checked the tube where the arm attaches and its clear. I watched it carefully this last time and throughout the cycles water does go up to the top arm but never do see it spinning or spraying.
The water temp is very high. I don't think its a problem with hard water as in our area hard water will etch the glasses. This grit is more like food that hasn't left the dishwasher and dried on the dishes. We use a liquid soap. We've tried others with no changes.
The hot water tank is only about 2 years old. Same age as the house and dishwasher.
I'm wondering now if there isn't enough pressure for the upper spray arms, or maybe the drain pipe is partly plugged...
I'm hearing this dishwasher doesn't have too good a reputation

Originally Posted by: TCM14 Go to Quoted Post
What makes the pump shift from lower to upper arm is the motor shuts off for a split second. This causes the check ball to move off its seat, when the pump motor restarts, the water is directed to the upper spray arm. To test this, start the dishwasher, let it go thru the fill cycle & start washing.
Very quickly open then close the door latch. Once the motor starts you'll hear a slighlty louder splashing sound.
As far as grit problems, chk water temperature it needs to be at least 130 degress at the tap to help detergent dissolve. Powdered detergents should be used, avoid tablets & gel packs, they are slow to dissolve & can carry over to the rinse cycle.
Water quality is very problematic in dishwashers, you might want to drain & refill your water heater since sediment builds up in the tank & can be drawn thru the hot water pipes.
Hard water is also an issue, if your house is not equipped with a water softener & you dont want to go to the expense of installing one, use a detergent booster, Glass Magic works excellent.

Hope this solves the problem

Regards,

Tim
TCM14  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 5, 2010 5:06:02 PM(UTC)
TCM14

It could be 2 things, 1) a bad fill valve thats not putting in enough water or 2) a bad wash pump. Start the washer, when it stops filling, add another gallon of water. If you notice an improvement in the wash action especially the upper spray arm, then you have a bad fill valve, or possibly low water pressure. If it does not improve, the wash pump is the culprit.
You're right on this units reputation, these are average at best when they do work properly. The wash pumps are notorious for failing after 2 to 3 years.

Regards,

Tim
Bioman  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 7, 2010 9:26:12 PM(UTC)
Bioman

Same problem here. I have the FDB635RBS0 model dishwasher. Looks like I was lucky - it lasted for 7 years.

Water works its way up the plastic tube running on the outside body of the dishwasher, but the volume is real low and as a result the top arm does not spin. Started noticing detergent residue on cups and plates found on the upper rack.

I added one extra gallon of water to test for water fill issues and still no spin on the top arm.

I pulled the dishwasher from the counter (removed two braket screws), shutoff the water, unplugged, unhooked the water supply and drain supply, removed the bracket holding the motor and simply pulled the motor out. It was real easy getting the motor out.

I used a digital multimeter to check the resistance of the motor leads and got no indication that any current was passing between the leads. Additionally, when I turn the impeller there is resistance and then suddenly it turns as if it is spring loaded (this repeats as I turn it). I am not sure if this is additional evidence for a bad motor or if this is how it sends water to the top of the unit and bottom as discussed earlier. After the repair, I'll let you know how it turned out.

Thanks for the discussion.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply