Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chemist308  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 8, 2010 5:28:30 AM(UTC)
chemist308

Groups: Registered

I have a Kitchen Aid dishwasher model 8524569 (black exterior, stainless interior). It's been progressively more noisy during runs. Noise is similar to a loud trash compactor. As of last night it made it's typical noise then just stopped working. Now when you start it, the lights come on, water fills and drains fine, even the soap dispenser opens when it should--but it doesn't wash (no water spray). What is my most likely problem, and where do I find the part?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

dave1322  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 13, 2010 10:38:48 PM(UTC)
dave1322

I have the same problem almost exactly. I had a service guy out last week and he said it was most likely the impeller, just comfirming my suspicions. He seems reluctant to change the impeller saying it was easier and probably less expensive to change out the whole motor assembly. So I ordered it and it arrived today. I plan on putting it in tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes. Also I ordered the motor assembly from applicance parts solutions, since appliance part pros doesn't have any in stock, or know when they are getting them. It was also 30 dollars cheaper.
chemist308  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 14, 2010 4:25:24 AM(UTC)
chemist308

Had the wrong part number--not that it matters at this point. Based on online research it was either the motor or pump. When I pulled the motor, bearings started falling out... Somehow bread twist ties were caught up in the food grinder. Based on that, I didn't even bother pulling the pump apart and assumed the whole assembly was trashed. I purchased the motor/pump combo (already assembled) through this site. My $600 dishwasher works like new now, for less the $200.

Based on my experiences I have the following advice for all:
* Never let my kids load the dishwasher again
* Always pre-rinse dishes
* If it ever stops working again, throw it away and get a new one--seriously, this job was so disgusting it's worth spending the extra $400...
dave1322  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 14, 2010 6:06:37 AM(UTC)
dave1322

Chemist,
glad you got it working, Yeah disgusting is an appropriate word, I already cleaned up the old motor pump thinking that was the problem. Found Qtips, dental floss, pieces of glass, and only God knows what that goop consisted of, to think we eat off the dishes washed in these machines. So was putting the Motor/Pump in a problem?
Hobiematt1970  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 9, 2010 12:35:22 PM(UTC)
Hobiematt1970

Sounds like you need to replace the pump motor. Mine had instructions on how to remove the pump assembly behind the kick plate under the door (2 screws to remove). About $130
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply