Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lokewolf  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 5, 2010 9:16:00 AM(UTC)
lokewolf

Groups: Registered

I found my DW leaking slowly from underneath the other night. Turns out the "Heating Element Brass Nut" had split apart and caused the heating element inside the washer to eventually dislodge and break its water tight seal.

I know I need the brass nut to lock the heating element back down but is there any type of seal/gasket needed under the flange of the heater element when you seat it in the hole from within the DW? It looked/felt like there was a seal at one point...maybe a resin or epoxy. Is the brass nut all I need or is their a seal of some sort that is also needed. Can someone help me with this please?

Thanks,

Erik
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 5, 2010 12:46:18 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Erik,

These seals are a part of the heating element and you can not buy them separate. If seals are damaged, you probably have to order the whole heater. I'm not sure if epoxy will work - never used it.

- The heater Part number: AP4390029
lokewolf  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 6, 2010 7:24:29 AM(UTC)
lokewolf

Thanks Gene! I'm gonna take a look at HD or Lowes to see what they might have for epoxy or heat/water resistent sealer. If I can avoid buying a heating element I want to do that. :)
Gene  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 6, 2010 10:54:39 AM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
You are welcome. Keep us posted.

Gene.
Mick The Stick  
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 30, 2010 10:49:47 AM(UTC)
Mick The Stick

We upgraded all our kitchen appliances to new Frigidaire models. Our first dishwasher electronics failed and had to be replaced after 1 year. We have experienced significant water leaks from both our Frigidaire refrigerator and now our second Frigidaire diswasher.

We found the same split brass nuts that connect to the dishwasher heating element to be split and thus loose causing the water leak (wish caused hundreds of dollars of repair to molded drywall and baseboards).

Called Frigidaires Customer Service 888-203-1389. Politely explained the problem and the failed part. Gave them the AP part number mentioned in this thread and she couldn't find it since it is not a Frigidaire part number. A very professional and polite female (eloquent english speaking) customer service representative quickly identified the Frigidaire part number of the nut 154106202. Which they sell for around $3. I asked if they could send 2 free replacements. She said she didn't have the authority to do that, put me on hold, less than a minute later came back on- apologized for the wait - and said yes we can do that. I then asked if they could send 2 extra in case the cheaply designed brass nuts split again and she immediately said yes. Sent them FEDEX ground 2-day.

I'm not happy about the cheap design on such a fundamental water protecting part, but I must give kudos to Frigidaires customer service. I would have gone ballistic if they had said no to such a simple request.
lokewolf  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 1, 2010 6:24:31 AM(UTC)
lokewolf

I too ordered the brass nut, but had to pay for it...since the washer was 5 yrs old. However, I used some Gorilla tape around that cracked washer nut to hold it tight and hoped the glue on the tape helped to seal out the water from dripping down to the tile beneath. Been 7 months since I did that and not a drop on the floor. I have the nut just in case, but at least its holding up.
squallyd  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 1, 2010 3:51:58 PM(UTC)
squallyd

I had the same leak and cause..but seemed that the nut was screwed in and fine...no water.
Just last night started smelling burnt something and noticed that the white wire connecting to the sensor(?) into the heating element had burned the plastic cover and the end of the wire.

Probably need to replace the heating element, but is anything special about the wire? Where can I get that?
Thanks
larrygs0723  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2012 5:46:06 PM(UTC)
larrygs0723

(I did not see lokwolf's successful post earlier that is similar to this one). Since a replacement nut was not quickly available I got to thinking - the crack is causing the leak because as it is tightened, it pulls apart and does not tighten the washer under the heating element inside. So, how could I prevent it pulling apart?
1) I took a 1/4" wide slice of tape - the kind that is like a thicker scotch tape but is strengthened with what looks like lines of strings (or something) and is sometimes called packaging tape,
2) Got a needle nose priars and pinched the cracked nut together,
3) Tightly wrapped the tape around the nut 6 or 7 times to hold the nut together. (Helpful is you have a second person assisting.)
Although it did not COMPLETELY close the crack, it closed and strengthened it enough so that I could screw it back on, tighten it, and seal the inside washer. No more leak!! How long will it last? Don't know so ordered a new nut as a backup/replacement.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply