Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
alhhaney  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 1, 2010 9:07:50 AM(UTC)
alhhaney

Groups: Registered

I am soliciting any advice on what I could troubleshoot and parts that might need to be replaced to reduce unusual noises during washing cycle, can't tell if I have a pump problem or solenoid making noise. This just started to occur. I have run the dishwasher a number of cycles....it operates according to the schedule, doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the controller portion. When it washes it makes a louder than normal sound and I am not sure if the drain pump is the culpret because the unusual noise does not seem to be occuring throught the entire wash cycle.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 2, 2010 2:34:13 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL KUDP01FLSS1 Dishwasher | AppliancePartsPros.com

A better description of the noise may help.
Remove the kick plate and try to answer the questions Where and When.
Are there any other symptoms re: poor washing or water left in the unit etc.

A symptom of just"an unusual noise" could be just about anything.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
alhhaney  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 4, 2010 1:06:31 PM(UTC)
alhhaney

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL KUDP01FLSS1 Dishwasher | AppliancePartsPros.com

A better description of the noise may help.
Remove the kick plate and try to answer the questions Where and When.
Are there any other symptoms re: poor washing or water left in the unit etc.

A symptom of just"an unusual noise" could be just about anything.

Sorry I couldn't provide a better description of the noise, I had already removed the kickplate to try and better identify the unusual noise(s). I went back and ran a full cycle. Everything seems to work as advertised...the extra/additional noise seems to occur only when the motor pump is running and then I seem to get a loud noise (like a cavitation noise) at the very end of the wash cycle when the motor pump and the drain pump are running and water is essentially completely removed from the washer. I have already opened and cleaned out the sump area to include the area around the chopper. Does that help in helping me troubleshoot the problem? Should I take out the motor and/or drain pump to see if there is any obvious damage or objects impeding the flow of water?
denman  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2010 3:25:27 AM(UTC)
denman

I am assuming that the noise is something new and it used to run quiet.

Sounds like you have checked out the main pump so all that is left is the drain pump.

Perhaps this will help
https://secured.whirlpool.com/Service/SrvTechAdm.nsf/2cd44500d572193285256a45004fd9d6/4e8b0d2df77cd7e585256cd800643b6d/$FILE/KD01.pdf

Also here is the tech sheet in case you do not have it
http://www.servicematters.com/docs/wiring/Tech%20Sheet%20-%208537797.pdf

Hopefully someone else will jump in who has seen this problem.
alhhaney  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2010 4:18:46 AM(UTC)
alhhaney

Awesome material...this will help me to dig into this further and try to find the ultimate troublemaker...if anyone has any other ideas, I will gladly take any suggestions....if I finally solve this, I will re-post...denman, THANKS again for taking the time to provide materials and thoughts....
alhhaney  
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2010 7:27:20 AM(UTC)
alhhaney

Sounds like you have checked out the main pump so all that is left is the drain pump.

Perhaps this will help
https://secured.whirlpoo...800643b6d/$FILE/KD01.pdf

I have a new dimension to this problem....I have run the dishwasher a few times, although I noticed what appears to be a cavitation sound or loose bearing/shaft rubbing sound, I have also noticed what appears to be very fine metal filings on the horizontal flat surfaces on some of the glassware in the upper rack and also at the bottom of the stainless steel tub...is this a motor replacement at this point?
denman  
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:38:05 PM(UTC)
denman

Open the pump up and see what is going on.
Could be the chopper is eating something.
alhhaney  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2010 8:38:42 AM(UTC)
alhhaney

Perhaps this will help
https://secured.whirlpoo...800643b6d/$FILE/KD01.pdf

I was able to pull the drain pump and main pump last night...while pulling everything apart, I noticed the cutting blades on the chopper assembly were worn and I think that explains the metal fillings I have seen recently. Both pumps look fine, can't see anything obviously wrong. The main pump separation screen (part # 8268391) was at least 50% obstructed with crude and showed signed of wear and tear. I intend to replace that and the chopper assembly and see if that takes care of the overall problem. Any advice, while I have the two pumps out, on what I should be looking for that would indicate I need to replace them? The parts move freely and I see no damage, fluid leaking, or anything else that would lead me to believe they were damaged or getting ready to go. Should I be thinking of replacing anything else while I have everything apart...dishwasher is almost 7 years old....
denman  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2010 9:19:27 AM(UTC)
denman

Sounds to me that you have it pretty well covered.
As long as the pump impellers turn OK replacing other extra parts is just a guess so I would not bother.

Strange that the chopper blades are worn and you did not find anything in that area.
alhhaney  
#10 Posted : Sunday, February 28, 2010 5:14:02 PM(UTC)
alhhaney

Sounds to me that you have it pretty well covered.
As long as the pump impellers turn OK replacing other extra parts is just a guess so I would not bother.

Strange that the chopper blades are worn and you did not find anything in that area.

Thanks for your previous advice...I finally got the parts I ordered and I put everything back together correctly it seemed until I turned on the washer. I had a significant water leak from what appeared like the left side of the sump seal. Do I need to apply any particular product (grease, lubricant) on the seal before re-attaching it to the sump and then seating on the stainless steel bottom? Any special technique for pushing in the sump tabs....I installed all three and I thought pushed them in as far as they would go in their recessed slots. Any other suggestions? I cleaned the pump seal after originally removing it earlier and didn't notice any holes or defects before putting it back into place. Again, thanks for any advice.

This has been bugging me all night. I am now thinking that the sump seal needed to be folded over into the sump housing??? Do I need to put anything between the seal and the stainless steel housing? Or, does the weight of the sump pump housing, motor, and everything else along with the sump tabs create a watertight seal? Thanks.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply