Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
swicinc  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 1, 2010 4:59:19 AM(UTC)
swicinc

Groups: Registered

Some of the buttons on the Keypad have stop working. Still able to run the dishwasher but most of the settings are not working when you press the buttons. Is the Keypad part easy to replace. Can i get some suggestions on switcing it out or a place I can go to read on hw to replace that part?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 1, 2010 5:25:34 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for General Electric PDW9280J00SS Dishwasher | AppliancePartsPros.com

Here is the best I could find as far as a manual
http://appliancejunk.com/ge/dishwasher/31-9137.pdf

Now for the bad news your problem can be caused by the keypad or the control board.
The normal way to troubleshoot is to check the keypad switches with a meter, if it checks out OK then replace the control board. Still a bit of a crap shoot but you have at least narrowed the odds in your favor.
See the manual on how to do this, with a little luck your keypad will match.
You will notice that several keypad switches use a common pin/track and that can explain why a number of switches do not work.

I would try the following first it usually fixes about half the units with this problem.
Connector Cleaning / Checking
Unplug the unit
Open it up
Remove the ribbon cable from the keypad to the control board at the control board.
Clean the edge connector.
If it is the type where there is not a connector just the insulation is removed, it can be cleaned with a pencil eraser. Do not use an ink eraser as it is too abrasive.
Check the tracks in the ribbon cable for hairline cracks. A magnifying glass helps here.
Clean the connectors. Use no residue electronics contact cleaner or isopropyl alcohol and a tooth brush. Be gentle and do not reconnect till all the solvent evaporates.
Reconnect everything and give it a try.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
swicinc  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 1, 2010 7:15:41 AM(UTC)
swicinc

Groups: Registered

You mentioned that cleaning that part works half the time. The proplem I have is that the unit is installed in such a way that unplugging is difficult. I assume I cam just flip the breaker and that would work correct? Also, the unit in the manual looks different. i beleive I have the manual. Does it require that you peel that piece off? Wont that damage the keypad? Or do I take out the screws and it comes out easier. Let me know. Thanks!
denman  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 1, 2010 7:58:32 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="Blue"]I assume I cam just flip the breaker and that would work correct?[/COLOR]
Yes

[COLOR="Blue"]Also, the unit in the manual looks different. i beleive I have the manual.[/COLOR]
As I said I is as close as I can find so it was a bot of a shot in the dark, GE tech info is very difficult to find on the net. If you have a service manual that is great, it will make your troubleshooting much easier.
[COLOR="Blue"]
Does it require that you peel that piece off? Wont that damage the keypad?[/COLOR]
No. You leave the keypad attached to the door. You are only interested in the cleaning the connector at the end of the ribbon cable which is hard wired to the keypad.

[COLOR="Blue"]Or do I take out the screws and it comes out easier.[/COLOR]
Just remove the door panel, see page 12.

The other alternative is to just order a new keypad and replace it.
It depends on how much DIY experience you have, how confident you feel, do you have the time to spend troubleshooting etc., do you have a meter, how tight money is right now and probably a few other variables.

The keypad is not that expensive and is the most likely cause of your problems.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply