Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
johnsweaver  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 7, 2010 9:52:43 AM(UTC)
johnsweaver

Groups: Registered

This is a Kenmore Elite 66516293401 which appears to be made by Whirlpool. The motor failed and I have it out to replace that assembly and a broken door link string. These repairs have gone fine.

However, when the dishwasher was removed, I noticed evidence of moisture on the left side of the unit and traced it to the water inlet. It looks just like the parts on this link.

Fill and overfill parts replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL KUDS01FLSS3 Undercounter Dishwasher | AppliancePartsPros.com

This is not the exact model but these parts appear identical.

The clamp that hold the hose to the inlet is nearly rusted away and there has been water outside the tub.

Is there a history of problems with this area? The evidence of moisture was very slight and I don't think it ever made it to the floor. The insulation would become damp and I noticed the effect on the side of the wood cabinet adjacent to the dishwasher.

I'm tempted to believe that it's condensation causing the problems since this appears to be a somewhat 'open' assembly. I don't believe it was leaking between the inlet and the tub.

At this point I guess I have two questions.

1. Is there any history of problems with water accumulation/leaks in this area?
2. Should the gasket (item 4 on link above , APP # AP3180076) be on the inside of the tub against the nut or on the outside of the tub against the inlet? It came from factory on the outside of tub against the inlet.

I have it up on sawhorses in the garage and can hook it up to water & power so I'll be running tests tonight to see if I see any leaks visible...but I'm doubtful that I'll find any.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

John
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

johnsweaver  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 8, 2010 5:58:35 AM(UTC)
johnsweaver

Well I took a more detailed look at it last night. It's up on sawhorses and I hooked it up to water and power and decided to give it a test run after replacing the fill line clamp.

Immediately I noticed water 'spitting' out of the openings on the sides of the inlet. Probably no more than an ounce or a 2-3 tablespoons. But that ceased as soon as all the air was flushed out of the supply system. I let it run a complete cycle (empty without detergent) and there was not another drop.

There was quite a bit of what I thought was hard water buildup around the outside of the water inlet. I've concluded that these are dried up soap suds. I think we may have been using too much detergent and it was foaming and pushing it up and out of the water inlet. I don't know what else it could be and this seems reasonable. I'm going to re-install it this evening and see what happens...and only slightly open the supply valve after starting a cycle to slowly get the air out of the system.

I'll also be taking a closer look at how much detergent I use. I'd generally just filled up the dispenser but it appears that's too much. On that note, I have a couple more questions.

1. What detergents do you prefer? We currently use some variant of Cascade powder. Maybe one of the pre-measured blocks/bricks would be better. I think my parents and sister use the Electrasol bricks and are happy.

2. What are your opinions on Lemi Shine? Does it have any detrimental effects? I've been using it since it was recommended to me. We were getting terrible hard water buildup and this made our glassware crystal clear and it keeps the dishwasher clean as well. I generally add a tablespoon or so to the dispenser before filling with detergent.

Thanks again for any input.
devouges  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 12, 2010 11:14:48 AM(UTC)
devouges

I have a brand-new machine and it does the same thing. The repairman came and changed the piece, thinking it was defective, but it did not fix it.

the second one that came said that the water pressure is too high :(

gotta check that one out !
devouges  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 12, 2010 12:31:06 PM(UTC)
devouges

Hi,
I bought a water-pressure valve ( not sure if that is what it is called in english) and I lowered the pressure going to the dishwasher and there is no more water spitting/gushing out of the edges of the water inlet.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply