Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rayfladeboe  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2010 2:03:16 PM(UTC)
rayfladeboe

Groups: Registered

My dishwasher has stopped working. It was running fairly loud for a few days, then stopped altogether. (I know, I know, should have stopped and investigated sooner but with the holidays, etc I just stuck my head in the sand and ignored it).

I found some small fragments of glass in the grinder and I suspect that's the cause of the problem. The impeller does rotate by hand but not very freely.

Running a rinse only cycle now results in the following:
Machine fills with water.
A "click" and then hum (sounds like motor is trying to turn on but is stuck). Afer a few minutes, the drain pump comes on and drains the system. I noticed that the main motor is very hot.

I don't have experience working on these things but I think I have enough mechanical skills to do the job. The question is, what needs to be replaced?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 3, 2010 3:21:41 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL KUDS01FLSS3 Undercounter Dishwasher | AppliancePartsPros.com

Sounds like you need a new motor assembly Item 10 in Section 8.
I would remove it from the sump assembly before ordering anything just to be sure it is the problem.

Here is a tech sheet with pump info
http://www.servicematters.com/d...0Sheet%20-%208537797.pdf

This may also be useful
https://secured.whirlpoo...800643b6d/$FILE/KD01.pdf
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
rayfladeboe  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 4, 2010 8:45:08 AM(UTC)
rayfladeboe

Groups: Registered

Thanks for the reply. Isn't it possible that after replacing the motor the machine will still be running loud due to a bad pump? I was thinking maybe I should just get the complete pump and motor assembly (item 14) for $60 more and be assured that everything is good.
denman  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 5, 2010 3:44:09 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Isn't it possible that after replacing the motor the machine will still be running loud due to a bad pump? I was thinking maybe I should just get the complete pump and motor assembly (item 14) for $60 more and be assured that everything is good.
If pump assembly is mechanical, so you should be able to see if it is damaged.
I cannot guarantee that just replacing the motor will solve the problem all I can say is that it will likely fix it.
At around $200.00 dollars you are getting close to the point of "Is it worth investing that many dollars into an old unit or does it make sense to replace the unit"
This is a call that only you can make as it depends on the condition of the unit, what a replacement unit would cost and if you have been happy with the unit.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply