Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rmattich  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 1, 2010 10:07:14 PM(UTC)
rmattich

Groups: Registered

Kenmore dishwasher began leaking out of the drain flapper linkage during drain cycles. I changed motor/pump assembly (WD26X10013) When I receive the new unit, I noticed that the drain flapper doesn't close completely. Pressing the soleniod plunger down, there is about 1" gap between the flapper and where it is supposed to seat. I can press the cam a little further, maybe 1/4" before it hits the mounting bracket that the solenoid is on but it still doesn't completely seal off the outltlet port.

I'm not seeing any adjustments that can be made on the arm, could this just be a bad unit or is it adjustable?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2010 3:36:34 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I'm not seeing any adjustments that can be made on the arm, could this just be a bad unit or is it adjustable?

As far as I know there is no adjustment, just the slop in the mounting screws.
Remove the solenoid and check it to be sure the solenoid plunger can be pulled all the way down. Perhaps it is defective.
Also manually actuate the flapper valve linkage to see if that is OK.

I doubt the following is the problem so just mention it in case something strange has occurred. Check that the solenoid has not overheated and melted the plastic inside the plunger area and this is stopping it from closing all the way.
The way this is supposed to work is that at the start of the drain cycle the solenoid receives power for about 10 seconds, the flapper is moved to the drain position and the water pressure hold it there till the unit is empty. If the timer messes up then it gets power for a longer time and it will overheat.

PS: I could not find a full parts breakdown for your unit but usually a leak at the flapper valve arm can be repaired by replacing the seal and it's push on nut.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
rmattich  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2010 12:56:48 PM(UTC)
rmattich

Groups: Registered

Unit appears to be operating properly. Plunger goes all the way in. It can't really travel any further down, as the cam has reached the end where a straight down pull works (has to now push cam horizontal). I am able to push 1/4" on cam past where plunger has pulled it before it hits the mounting bracket, but the gate still doesn't seat against the outlet.

I saw this before installing the new unit, but from watching the operation, it appears that the solenoid kicks in for about 5 seconds, just enough time to get the gate into the flow of things and then the pressure seals the outlet.

Even though I can see that there is water discharging out, with the door open, I can see that there is still water bubbling out of the spray arm so that would lead me to believe that it isn't sealed off, so water can bypass and circulate around instead of being forced out the drain hose.
rmattich attached the following image(s):
DSCN2982.JPG
denman  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 3, 2010 3:11:10 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
OK lets take a step backwards, when you originally said
Kenmore dishwasher began leaking out of the drain flapper linkage during drain cycles.
Did you mean that it was leaking water out of the flapper seal onto the floor or that the water seemed to be bypassing the wash/drain flapper?
You then replaced tthe pump assembly and nothing has changed?

Is the unit draining properly?
Note it is normal for the unit to leave about a 1/4 inch of water in the bottom of the tub as these pumps will burn up the seals if run while dry.

I went to the sears parts site and looked at the parts breakdown.
It looked suspicious to me as it showed a rear inside the tub screen filter but did not show this as a separate part also it did not show a Piston & Nut assembly.
Here is the Sears link, I am not sure if the site filters will let this through
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getModel!retrieve.pd?modelNumber=363.14471791

If the unit has a removable screen filter assembly at the back/inside the tub remove it and see if it has a Piston & Nut. If it does, remove it and check it (it unscrews).
Here is an example of a unit which uses it.
Body parts replacement parts for General Electric GSD5560G00SS Dishwasher | AppliancePartsPros.com

If this is not sealing correctly some water will bypass the drain and be pumped back into the tub during a drain cycle.pumped.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply