Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stonea  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2009 1:54:25 PM(UTC)
stonea

Groups: Registered

Ok - I replaced my control panel about 3-5 days ago, due to the fact that my Start button no longer worked. Turns out it may have been another part at fault after all, because now my problems have compounded.

Dishwasher worked fine since then - except some of the cycle lights wouldn't light up, even though the buttons were functional.

However, even though it sat idle all day, and worked last night, nothing works. No lights, no functions, no nothing. Flipped breaker a few times. No dice.

Is this an indicator of a failure of some other major component, since the Control Panel is now brand-new? I am all for replacing components myself, but it sure would be nice to know where to start! Or is it time to get out the Yellow Pages and call the repair guy?

Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2009 3:40:08 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are the parts
Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL KUDP01DLBS6 Undercounter Dishwasher | AppliancePartsPros.com

Here is the tech sheet
http://www.servicematters.com/d...0Sheet%20-%208564549.pdf

Could be a number of things.
First check to be sure the connection to power is OK re: usually wire nuts.
Also a good idea to check that it is getting voltage. Otherwise you could rip the whole thing apart and perhaps it is a bad circuit breaker.

Next on the list would be the thermal fuse Item 6 in Section 2.

Next would be the door latch switches but I believe the unit/controls are still live with the door open.

Dishwasher worked fine since then - except some of the cycle lights wouldn't light up, even though the buttons were functional.
Unfortunately the tech sheet does not show the wiring for the LEDs so it makes it difficult. Is it possible that you hooked something up wrong. re: the ribbon cable etc.. I do not know if the cable is keyed so that it only goes in one way.

However, even though it sat idle all day, and worked last night, nothing works. No lights, no functions, no nothing.
This is a bit of a puzzle as the thermal fuse should not blow when the unit is just sitting idle. Note these fuses are know to be a problem and that is why there is a modification fix/harness included with it.

Flipped breaker a few times.
Try flipping it and leaving it off for half an hour or so. I am not sure how long it would take this board to reset. I think this would be a long shot but worth a try.

Is this an indicator of a failure of some other major component, since the Control Panel is now brand-new?
Could be

Or is it time to get out the Yellow Pages and call the repair guy?

Cannot say but if you decide to try and fix it yourself I recommend you get a meter. This will let you check power and also continuity of the connection etc.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
stonea  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2009 4:36:12 PM(UTC)
stonea

Thanks a lot for all the detailed information - that's really helpful. Based on the symptoms, I suspect that the thermal fuse may be the culprit, because the breaker seems OK, and I have no reason to suspect that the DW somehow disconnected from the house hard wiring at this point.

Weird thing about the thermal fuse, though - the diagram seems to show that it's part of the control panel assembly, yet I cannot find it anywhere. Is this fuse assembly buried somewhere down deep in the door? I started to take that off, but it looked like I risked cracking some of that sound-dampening foam stuff down in the door itself if I took it too far.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
Here are the parts
Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL KUDP01DLBS6 Undercounter Dishwasher | AppliancePartsPros.com

Here is the tech sheet
http://www.servicematters.com/d...0Sheet%20-%208564549.pdf

Could be a number of things.
First check to be sure the connection to power is OK re: usually wire nuts.
Also a good idea to check that it is getting voltage. Otherwise you could rip the whole thing apart and perhaps it is a bad circuit breaker.

Next on the list would be the thermal fuse Item 6 in Section 2.

Next would be the door latch switches but I believe the unit/controls are still live with the door open.

Unfortunately the tech sheet does not show the wiring for the LEDs so it makes it difficult. Is it possible that you hooked something up wrong. re: the ribbon cable etc.. I do not know if the cable is keyed so that it only goes in one way.

However, even though it sat idle all day, and worked last night, nothing works. No lights, no functions, no nothing.
This is a bit of a puzzle as the thermal fuse should not blow when the unit is just sitting idle. Note these fuses are know to be a problem and that is why there is a modification fix/harness included with it.

Flipped breaker a few times.
Try flipping it and leaving it off for half an hour or so. I am not sure how long it would take this board to reset. I think this would be a long shot but worth a try.

Is this an indicator of a failure of some other major component, since the Control Panel is now brand-new?
Could be

Or is it time to get out the Yellow Pages and call the repair guy?
Cannot say but if you decide to try and fix it yourself I recommend you get a meter. This will let you check power and also continuity of the connection etc.
denman  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2009 12:07:53 AM(UTC)
denman

Should be on the component side of the control board.
stonea  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2009 10:41:36 AM(UTC)
stonea

Thanks for the feedback - I don't have a meter, exactly, but I pulled the thermal fuse and bypassed with (blushing) a piece of wire and two strips of masking tape. So -- with that fuse out of the loop, all works. Now, at least I know that a $13 fuse assembly will fix it!

Thanks again.

Originally Posted by: stonea Go to Quoted Post
Thanks a lot for all the detailed information - that's really helpful. Based on the symptoms, I suspect that the thermal fuse may be the culprit, because the breaker seems OK, and I have no reason to suspect that the DW somehow disconnected from the house hard wiring at this point.

Weird thing about the thermal fuse, though - the diagram seems to show that it's part of the control panel assembly, yet I cannot find it anywhere. Is this fuse assembly buried somewhere down deep in the door? I started to take that off, but it looked like I risked cracking some of that sound-dampening foam stuff down in the door itself if I took it too far.

Thanks.
reeves1  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 22, 2009 11:29:41 AM(UTC)
reeves1

Your Whirlpool dishwasher trouble sounds identical to mine, including only a few LED lights working, etc. I had a pro come out, and he said I needed a new control panel, which contains the touch panel, which he said was the problem. Unfortunately, that part in bisque costs $350-$400, about the replacement retail cost of the dishwasher itself! Even wierder, the same part in black or white was only $150. Go figure. I was disbelieving of that, but checked it out on the internet parts sites, and he was right! Can you tell me where the thermal fuse is located? I disassembled the control panel but couldn't find any fuses. I would hate to buy a new one if only a fuse needs replacing.

Thanks,

Robert
denman  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 23, 2009 6:05:57 AM(UTC)
denman

reeves1

Your problem is different if the fuse blows nothing works as it kill power to the control board.

I did notice you had another post so will reply to that one.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply