Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
astro3ron  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2008 7:28:51 AM(UTC)
astro3ron

Groups: Registered

I have an older Kenmore dishwasher circa 1992. At the start of the wash cycle, the pump should start to pump out any left over water from before. But now I just hear a humming sound and then a click, like a relay shut something off. No circuit breakers have popped at the service panel. I can advance the timer knob to where it will allow hot water to come in, but the motor/pump won't kick in at the start of the cycle. Motor problem?? internal circuit overload?? Something hung up in the pump keeping the motor/pump from going?? Time for a new washer?? But the old ones seem to last much longer than the new ones...
Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2008 5:27:14 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Remove the bottom panel and check for old water leak and rust over the motor. This is one of most common cause for motor damage.

Post your findings, please.

Gene.
astro3ron  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2008 6:24:31 PM(UTC)
astro3ron

Thanks, Gene. Checked for leaks but didn't see any. Wasn't sure how to see if I can turn the motor. From inside of washer, where/what would I have to remove to do this(with the power off of course)?? Didn't notice any other problems or odors. All the other cycles seem to work, water inlet, cooling fan etc, just no pump. Sounds like some relay has kicked in and then resets before I can try the cycle again.
Thanks
awtoteck  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 28, 2010 6:53:12 AM(UTC)
awtoteck

Sounds like your drain is plugged. check the drain inside and then if its clear check the underside pump thats what mine was doing the pump and drain were clocked with food particles. I cleared them out and bingo it was fine.
astro3ron  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 28, 2010 1:52:26 PM(UTC)
astro3ron

Replaced old worn out motor. Checked all the typical issues prior to replacing the unit.
LoveLearn  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 3, 2010 9:39:34 AM(UTC)
LoveLearn

Whirlpool which company makes Kenmore dishwashers elected to run motor bearings which can rust WHEN NOT IF water-isolation seals begin leaking. So natually, those motor bearings do rust. The first symptom dishwasher owners notice is increased motor-bearing noise. Circulation pump motor bearings can develop nasty clearances allowing the armature to hammer and resonate up, down, round and round making increasingly loud noices as these bearings continue to decay before the motor simply locks up. Since Whirlpool abandoned their reversible dual-function circulation & drain pump motors, they added a dedicated drain pump, also with rust-prone bearings. Replacing these poorly-specified OEM pump bearings by either installing a new OEM pump or by replacing only the rust-failed bearings is like replacing auto tires. They WILL fail again. But if you replace the water-side bearing with a stainless steel bearing, as I did, you will probably never see that problem again. As I recall, the stainless steel bearing cost about $8 as compared to about $3 for the rust-prone bearings they originally specified. You ONLY need to do that on the motor shaft end exposed to water. The other end won't become wet so it won't rust in normal use. Bearing size? At least on the circulation pump, they are the same size used in common skate boards. Just spend a little more to get the stainless steel bearing so you won't need to replace another "worn out" (not worn out at all, just rusted until it locked up) pump motor.

I know this is not a common view. But swapping in another poorly-specified OEM pump rustable bearing by any procedure, including replacing with a new OEM pump, seems like cheating the customer to me.
Just my opinion.
John
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply