Discuss

Appliance Repairs: Is it worth it?

in

Dishwasher Repair

. "

Hi, For the past six months our refrigerator/freezer, while it continues to make ice, when you try to push the

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Dishwasher Repair » Appliance Repairs: Is it worth it?

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2018, 06:52 AM

spadekevin is on a distinguished road
Default Appliance Repairs: Is it worth it?
Brand: Bosch   Age: 1 - 5 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

Hi,

For the past six months our refrigerator/freezer, while it continues to make ice, when you try to push the lever from the outside no ice would come out. Other than that the thing works fine. I've been just dealing with it for a good long while and finally hired someone to come fix it. Total cost? $350. Just to be able to get ice without having to open the door to the freezer and reach inside, which is a small inconvenience really and hasn't bothered me much to be honest with you. So I started shopping around to see what a comparable but brand new refrigerator would cost. Looks like I could have bought a new one for around $800. They do get much more expensive and fancy than that, but I'm just talking about one similar to ours in terms of its features. Ours is fourteen years old. The last project was our garage door. It broke twice and I spent over $1,000 on repairs. When it broke for a third time and they wanted another $400-$500 to fix it I decided to buy a new one. Got a brand new insulated garage door and all the machinery that goes with it (which is much quieter than my old one) for less than $2,000. I wish I had just bought a new one from the get go but I didn't know any better at the time. I've begun to feel like I'm getting fleeced here. Do you have any specific criteria as for how much you are willing to spend to fix something, as opposed to just replacing it? If your budget wouldn't be stretched to just buy a new one? Are appliance repairs in general a ripoff? I have heard people say that televisions and computers, as cheap as they have gotten these days, should never be repaired but instead should just be replaced. Is this true of other appliances and I just didn't get the memo?

Please help.

I did not find the right solution from the internet.

References:
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=98263
Health Insurance Marketing

Thank

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.