Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DavidG1058  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2009 5:57:31 AM(UTC)
DavidG1058

Groups: Registered

I have a GE Model # GSD3400G00CC and it will not drain unless I engage the solenoid by hand. I have no wiring diagram and need to know how to test the solenoid. Also Solenoid was replaced about 1 year ago the old one had melted.

TIA
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2009 6:10:57 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Remove the wires from it and check it with a meter for continuity, if it is open it is shot.

If it has continuity, replace the wires on it set your meter to AC volts, start a cycle and measure across it. When the unit is supposed to start it should receive 120 volts for about 5 seconds.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
DavidG1058  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2009 7:56:44 AM(UTC)
DavidG1058

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
Remove the wires from it and check it with a meter for continuity, if it is open it is shot.

If it has continuity, replace the wires on it set your meter to AC volts, start a cycle and measure across it. When the unit is supposed to start it should receive 120 volts for about 5 seconds.

denman,
Ok I have continuity across the terminals.

rotating the dial slowly by hand I get no voltage across the terminals with the wires reconnected...

Any idea what to check next...

TIA
denman  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2009 9:07:26 AM(UTC)
denman

Probably means your timer is gone, drain contacts are not closing.

Do you have the wiring diagram, it may have been taped to the back of the kick plate or under the unit.

GE keeps their tech info a secret so I will not be able to say which contacts are the correct ones to check.

You may be able to figure it out, if they have two different colored wires on the solenoid. White would be Neutral. The other one will be the one that is switched to power.
I would check both of these for continuity back to the timer.
If OK
You can find the drain contacts if the plug on the timer is 3 by 6 or so contacts. It is the 3 that is important. The wire from the drain solenoid one side, the center wire will be the common (power) and the other side may be used to switch in something like the water valve
So if you disconnect power from the unit and turn the timer the contacts should close when the drain valve is supposed to open.

Just for your info these contacts sticking closed is a common cause of the solenoids overheating. Perhaps they were pitted and sticking and now have completely failed.

Hope this helps and that I have explained it clearly.
DavidG1058  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2009 10:29:35 AM(UTC)
DavidG1058

denman thanks for you help, I have determined that indeed the switch is bad. 3 of the contacts were welded closed. cleaned them and the washer ran through half its cycle before it failed again. I am ordering the replacement now.
denman  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2009 11:38:56 AM(UTC)
denman

You are welcome

Glad you found it.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply