Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
drcarl  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2015 2:01:51 PM(UTC)
drcarl

Groups: Registered

I am tempted to try to find a Whirlpool engineer...if there really IS sch a thing...All I can find are clerks who can read a PDF parts list, and who swear "it's the right part" without being able to have an intelligent discussion.

I'd sure like to know this:

Does the series 15 ~teeny tiny~ check ball really replace the series 10 ~marble-sized~ check ball?

And, what would happen if I install a series 10 check ball in addition to, (or instead of) the series 15 ball?

I am going CRAZY about this "check ball" issue (I know - I already was), and how they/it may or may not relate to my dishwasher's (DW) poor performance.

I have cleaned everything (screens, filters, grates, etc) below the food chopper and drain cover as far as the drain impeller assembly. I'll check the drain hose after I post this.

Then, I will attempt to learn how to properly diagnose a DW's performance, including learning if it's OK/normal to have a some amount of water remaining after all the cycles are complete. I have attached images of the remaining water level for your review.

I think they should make doors with clear windows so we can see what the frick is going on.

I would like to find SOMEbody who can discuss the differences and functions of the teeny tiny check ball vs the larger check ball. Frankly, I am not even sure what a check ball does, probably checks something...I have read that it affects performance ...and maybe something about draining...(might this be why sometimes our dishes smell like "pond" ?)

SOMEbody must have designed these machine in the first place. I bet their title was engineer. My Kingdom for an engineer.

Here's a guy with the exact same question. It takes a whole minute and a half to watch it - click --> here

Also, is the level of remaining water shown in my attached images "OK" or normal?

I understand that the sump seals need to be kept wet, yet, is this level above the sump or not?

Once I get these answers, I can move on to performance diagnostics, if there is such a thing.

BTW - I installed this DW, and have replaced the control board, twice. I also ordered and installed the series 15, BB-sized check ball...and the performance is still poor as described and as imaged.

Comments? Suggestions? Answers? Help?

TIA

DETAILS

Maytag Dishwasher (could be called a Whirlpool or Amana or whatever)
Model: MDB9100AWB
SN: 15616100YM (<--mine is a series "15". The first two digits = series)

Check Balls - Images Attached
Part 99001798 for (older) "series 10" - 1/2 inch "marble-sized" - WHITE (installed under the drain cover [part 99001795]

Part 99002281 for (mine, a newer) "series 15" - "bb-sized" - BLUE (installed between the filter support [part 99001794], and the suction plate [series 10 part 99001793] [series 15 part 99002279]

The parts manual is attached, too.
File Attachment(s):
Repair Part List - MDB9100AWB.pdf (305kb) downloaded 1 time(s).
IMG_0949 copy.JPG (383kb) downloaded 11 time(s).
IMG_0951 copy.jpg (574kb) downloaded 11 time(s).
drcarl attached the following image(s):
Check-Ball-99001798-MARBLE SIZE-00894313.jpg
Check-Ball-99002281-TEENY-00964541.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.