Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
utpal  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2015 4:51:33 AM(UTC)
utpal

Groups: Registered

Hi all,

I have a GE Profile dishwasher, model PDW9880J00SS. We had a power surge, and now the keypad buttons don't light up and the dishwasher doesn't work. I flipped the breaker, and unplugged it completely for an hour in an attempt to reset it, but without success. This same thing happened a few years ago, and I replaced the keypad (part WD34X10908) which did the trick. I tried replacing it again, but no luck. I suspect the issue is with the control panel (part WD21X10187), but is there anything else it could be? Also, in the future, it seems I should plug it in to a surge protector (or invest in a whole-house surge suppressor) - any harm in that?

Thanks,
Paul
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

westom  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2015 8:04:50 AM(UTC)
westom

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: utpal Go to Quoted Post
We had a power surge, and now the keypad buttons don't light up and the dishwasher doesn't work.

If you had a power surge, then an incoming electric current found earth ground destructively via that keypad. Or now via some other part. To say what might be damaged means first learning what was the incoming electric path. And what was also the outgoing path to earth.

No protector does protection. Protection is always about connecting a surge to earth BEFORE it can enter the building. That is why a 'whole house' protector is do effective. And why protectors adjacent to appliances do little to nothing.

So, it is not the 'whole house' protector that should have most of your attention. Focus mostly on what actually does the protection - single point earth ground.

Meanwhile, what is damaged would have been in a path that connected a cloud to earth. Potential outgoing paths include water pipes and even the kitchen floor.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply