Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mykalwebs  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2014 9:13:31 AM(UTC)
mykalwebs

Groups: Registered

I've got a GE VRD2204X01WW (made by Camco) dishwasher in a condo that I rent out. A new tenant moved in and alerted me that the dishwasher was "squealing".

In my initial assessment, I started the short wash cycle and immediately heard the "squealing". It sounded like the pump was running dry, so opened the door to interrupt the cycle.
1. I checked the water line and the valve was open.
2. I dumped a pan of water into the bottom of the dishwasher to prime it.

When I closed the door, the squealing was gone and the cycle continued normally until the first drain phase. The unit drained properly, but the pump continued to run (and squeal) after all of the water was gone. This time I turned the knob to advance the timer and the unit kicked into the fill phase (as expected).

I let in run through the full cycle and the behaviour was the same at each drain phase, the pump would continue after the water had drained out.

I suspect the timer is worn out and needs to be replaced, but I want to make sure there's not a water sensor somewhere in the circuit that I should hit first.

I'm having trouble finding info on the Candian model number. I found an exploded parts diagram that led me to the correct timer part, but I can't find a wiring or timing diagram.

I uses the same timer as the GSD2200 series and appears similar.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,

Michael
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2014 2:19:40 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I also cannot find info on this unit so cannot give specific info.

I can tell you that in most units there is not a water level sensor.
Fill is just a timed event.

Most units do have a float switch but this is just a safety device to prevent floods if the valve stays on.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
mykalwebs  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2014 9:27:46 AM(UTC)
mykalwebs

Groups: Registered

Thanks Denman,

It sounds like I'm on the right track. Though just to clarify, I'm having issues with a prolonged drain phase.
denman  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 6, 2014 12:33:13 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
If I assume that the pump and timer is also the same as a GSD2200G00BB I can tell you how the drain cycle is supposed to work.

Here is the link to the unit I looked at.
http://www.appliancepartspros.c...for-ge-gsd2200g00bb.html

During the wash cycle the solenoid plunger is up.
When it comes time to drain the solenoid is powered for a couple seconds.
This pulls the solenoid plunger down. The flapper valve moves to the drain position and the water is directed out the drain.
The water pressure holds the flapper in the drain position.
When the unit is empty (no water pressure on the flapper) the springs on the solenoid pull the solenoid plunger up and the flapper valve moves to the wash position.
Note that empty does not mean totally empty as there will still be water in the sump.

The unit then refills.
So it is normal for the pump to keep running but not normal for it to drain out all the water.
The pump should shut off after the last rinse stage of the cycle when the unit goes into the dry mode.

Check that the solenoid valve plunger moves easily up and down.
Check that the flapper valve is OK.
Check that the solenoid only receives power for a short time at the start of the drain cycle.

Sometimes the solenoids fail because the timer applies power to them for too long.
This then overheats the solenoid causing the plastic in them to melt.

One thing to note is that often if theses pumps are run when dry it causes a leak as the pump seals overheat.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply