Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
crazymech  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2009 6:53:56 AM(UTC)
crazymech

Groups: Registered

...none of the buttons are responding... If I hold one of the wash buttons down for almost a minute, the rinse only light blinks a few times and stops. I can press the Air Dry button and the light will light up along with the 'add rinse aid' light. The cancel button works when pressed and starts the drain displaying 2 and counting down by 1. Stops after that. I have opened the back of the control panel and the board doesnt seem to be shorted out or 'smoked' or burnt out. Is it the control panel or the board that may be the issue? I've tried resetting power from the circuit breaker a few times and that did not help. thanks in advance!!!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 21, 2009 1:54:39 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL GU1500XTLS2 | AppliancePartsPros.com

Here is a tech sheet
http://www.servicematters.com/d...0Sheet%20-%208537797.pdf

Does sound more like a control problem than a keypad problem.

Try to run the diagnostics.
Check the key outputs from the keypad with a meter. If OK then I would replace the control board. Note that it is still a bit of a crap shoot but your odds at replacing the correct part are better.

Try the following before ordering anything:
Unplug the unit
Open it up
Remove the ribbon cable from the keypad to the control board at the control board.
Clean the edge connector.
If it is the type where there is not a connector just the insulation is removed, it can be cleaned with a pencil eraser. Do not use an ink eraser as it is too abrasive.
Check the tracks in the ribbon cable for hairline cracks. A magnifying glass helps here.
Would not hurt to clean the connector on the board. Use electronics contact cleaner or isopropyl alcohol and a tooth brush. Be gentle and do not reconnect till all the solvent evaporates.
Reconnect everything and give it a try.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
crazymech  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 21, 2009 8:38:43 AM(UTC)
crazymech

thank you... I've already disconnected everything and it did not seem like the ribbon has any gunk or dirt in its connectors... but I sure will give it a try.

Also, i tried to run diagnostice but the keypad is completely non-responsive no matter what sequence i push the buttons in. I'll give it a try with ammeter

once again, thanks for replying!!
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 21, 2009 6:52:30 PM(UTC)

crazymech--

I'm in the same situation as you -- same model and symptons except that I've already replaced my control board with no luck. I've found that if I leave the circuit off for 24+ hours, I'll have about a 50-50 chance of being able to run the wash cycle... otherwise, only the cancel button works with the 2 minute countdown routine... we've been living with it like this for about 6 weeks now and the mrs's is really after me to fix it for good...

I'll try my hand with the ohmmeter tomorrow and post my results (thanks to the other poster for the link to the service sheet -- hadn't seen that before).

Good luck and let us know your results!
crazymech  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2009 10:10:54 AM(UTC)
crazymech

ok... thanks for your info... since I had to do something for this, I have ordered both the control board as well as the control panel... since the board didnt work for you, I will try with the control panel first and see if it can get me anywhere. I;ll post results as soon as I get my parts.
crazymech  
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 25, 2009 3:58:16 PM(UTC)
crazymech

so as I had mentioned earlier, I ordered both the parts from this website after trying in vain to find a sollution to my issue.
Of course, my control board came in about 2 days time with the panel being back ordered.
I was aware of the return policy stating that all parts to be returned must be in original packaging and without damage etc etc... so I was very very apprehensive about opening something and not being able to return it if the part does not solve my issue.
In any case, the board came in a cardboard box wrapped in anti-static package that was not sealed. Which is good - I thought... so if it does not solve my issue, I can at least put it back exactly the way it was and return it and wait for the control panel which would be my next point of investigation.

I test fitted everything and without putting the outer panel on (!!!! Never operate or test any applicance especially a dishwasher without putting back all parts, panel and screwss!!!!!) and switched the circuit breaker on. closed the door and hit the quick wash button.... To my utter delight, the dishwasher came to life... hit cancel and let the unit drain out... went back and switched off the circuit breaker and connected everything back up again and now my dishwasher and I are in business.

Called up apppro and cancelled the back ordered panel.

So if you are unsure of whether it is the panel or the board, order both and if the board comes earlier and is packaged like mine was, you could test to see if it solved your problem and return the board if it did not and keep the other part of your order active - the panel. Dont know how the panel is packaged but even if both of them arrive together, see if the board can be unpacked making sure you can pack it back together again... mine came in just wrapped around in a anti-static sheet and if I had to return it, it wouldnt have been an issue as far as packaging is concerned. I could have wrapped it upm exactly the way it was before I had unwrapped it.

Hope this helps!
john20091  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2011 9:58:24 AM(UTC)
john20091

I have this same problem....just replaced control board....didn't work.

Time to order the control panel I guess. Funny thing is, I can press any control panel button for 30 seconds...and the "Rinse Only" buttons starts to blink.....as long as I hold down a button....as soon as I pick up my finger, it stops blinking. So the buttons are "working" but maybe the resistance is off...or something
crazymech  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 26, 2011 2:32:06 PM(UTC)
crazymech

Try replacing just the thermal cutoff switch... might help.
Curiously enough, all my old parts are now working flawlessly except the TCO.
I have since replaced the TCO 2 times on separate occasions and the dishwasher hasnt missed a beat - even now running with the old control board and panel. Go figure!!
john20091  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, October 26, 2011 3:38:31 PM(UTC)
john20091

Would the TCO allow power through to the touch panel? Is the TCO either "all on" or "all off"....or will it pass lower voltages through.

Hmmm, I have a way to test that :)

Thanks. I have a touch panel showing up tomorrow. I'm hoping that helps. If it doesn't, I'll give the TCO a try.
john20091  
#10 Posted : Thursday, October 27, 2011 1:46:19 AM(UTC)
john20091

I'll post up, when I replace the touch panel and let you know if that solves the problem.

Try holding any key on the touchpanel down for 30 seconds. When I do this, and continue holding the key down...the "Rinse Only" button starts to blink. As soon as I take my finger off the button...it stops.

The cancel works...and the "air dry" also will toggle on/off. I can also push the air dry for 4 seconds to set the lock and the two minute cancel countdown works.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply